Brenko Lee

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Karl Carpenter

Re: Brenko Lee

Post by Karl Carpenter »

widdenoldboy wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:59 am
Underwhelming if we sign him, got good size but I'd be sniffing round the Roosters clear out mentioned and go for JWH
I’m sure I heard in a recent NRL commentary that he had re-signed for another year with the Roosters.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Underwhelming if we sign him, got good size but I'd be sniffing round the Roosters clear out mentioned and go for JWH
He’s become a liability IMO & getting on in years! 😂
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Karl Carpenter wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:35 am
I’m sure I heard in a recent NRL commentary that he had re-signed for another year with the Roosters.
You are correct, totally missed that one, bit gutted now

https://www.roosters.com.au/news/2023/0 ... -roosters/

The Sydney Roosters are thrilled to announce that three-time Premiership winners, vice-captain Jared Waerea-Hargreaves and one-club man Daniel Tupou, have re-committed to the Club for season 2024.

The longest-serving and most experienced player in the squad, Waerea-Hargreaves made his Club debut in 2010 and has played all but six of the 287 NRL games he has featured in so far with the Roosters. He is currently the fourth most-capped player in the Club’s 114-year history behind only Luke Ricketson (301 games), Anthony Minichiello (302 games) and Mitchell Aubusson (306).

“This is my home. It’s an honour and a privilege to wear the Roosters jersey, and I consider myself incredibly fortunate to know that I’ll continue to be part of the team we have here,” said Waerea-Hargreaves.

Waerea-Hargreaves was appointed vice captain in 2013 and is a two-time recipient of the Club’s prestigious Clubman of the Year award (2012, 2017). He is also a regular finalist for the Roosters’ Jack Gibson Medal for Player of the Year, which he won in 2012. In the representative arena, the proud Kiwi is a former winner of the NZRL Player of the Year award and finalist for the RLIF Golden Boot.

Having made his NRL debut with the Roosters in 2012, Tupou is the longest-serving member of the Roosters’ backline. Over the 230 games he has played to date, he has scored 136 tries and is second only to Anthony Minichiello (139) on the list of the Club’s all-time try-scorers. He has featured in 10 games for NSW and represented Australia and Tonga on the international stage.

Tupou, himself a former winner of the Sydney Roosters Clubman of the Year award (2019), was excited to re-commit for another season.

“I cherish every opportunity I get to represent the Sydney Roosters. I love this club and the people in it,” said Tupou.

“I’m excited about what’s ahead and look forward to continuing to work hard and play my role within the team,” he added.

Roosters Head Coach, Trent Robinson, was pleased that the experience and leadership of Tupou and Waerea-Hargreaves would continue to benefit the team.

“Daniel and Jared have each been a big part of our team for a number of years now, and they are highly respected for their strong work ethics and for being good people. I love coaching them and it’s great that they will continue to play their roles at the Roosters,” said Robinson.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Ipinwigan wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:38 am Why on earth would we be interested in another knackered player with knee problems.
He must be cheap if we are looking to sign him, probably because of ongoing injury issues.
Our recruitment policy over the last years, other than Jake Wardle, has not been at all impressive.
Wigan Warriors
Ins: Jake Wardle (Huddersfield), Toby King (Warrington), Ryan Hampshire (Castleford).

Outs: Jack Bibby, Jake Bibby, Sam Halsall (all Huddersfield), Ollie Partington (Salford), Tommy Leuluai (retired), John Bateman (Wests Tigers).

Didn't we also resign French? And King seemed well liked until the resent slump

In: Kaide Ellis (St George Illawarra Dragons), Patrick Mago (South Sydney Rabbitohs), Cade Cust (Manly Sea Eagles), Iain Thornley (Leigh Centurions), Abbas Miski, Ramon Silva (both London Broncos).

Out: Joe Bullock (Warrington Wolves), Amir Bourouh (Salford Red Devils), Chris Hankinson (Toulouse Olympique), Jackson Hastings, Oliver Gildart (both Wests Tigers), Tony Clubb (retired).

It's a shame some of these signings haven't worked as well as we liked but in all honesty if they had we would have had a nice stable couple of years which is part of the reason saints have done so well.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

I'll take back my comment slightly, I forgot about French and Field, but other than those two and Wardle, our recruitment has been extremely poor.
We need an expert recruiter to bring in players not passed their best, or carrying long term injuries, Radlinski's track record is abysmal.
One excuse is possibly hands tied due to money issues.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Ipinwigan wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:12 pm I'll take back my comment slightly, I forgot about French and Field, but other than those two and Wardle, our recruitment has been extremely poor.
We need an expert recruiter to bring in players not passed their best, or carrying long term injuries, Radlinski's track record is abysmal.
We did used to have someone to do just that. A talent scout to watch, suggest, at home & abroad, then club makes a decision or an offer.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Ipinwigan wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:12 pm I'll take back my comment slightly, I forgot about French and Field, but other than those two and Wardle, our recruitment has been extremely poor.
if you look at examples for the last 2 off season recruits, with the exception of perhaps Thornley and Hampshire, who i believe were both signed to provide cover in the backs, most of those should be in the prime of their careers

Wardle 24
King 26
Mago 28
Cust 24
Ellis 26
Silva 21 (project)
Miski 26

so its not so much about being past it, but more are they the right signing for Wigan in terms of either position they play or quality that the fans want to see

I think most were surprised by Miski as he was initially a squad player, but taking up a quota spot, so in effect a waste of an overseas spot, however, his performances this season following Fields injury have led to him holding down that spot and the focus turning to Cust, given that Field looked very dynamic at 6 prior to getting injured
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

87 NRL appearances in ten years!! I hope it’s a bloody wind up!!
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:15 pm 87 NRL appearances in ten years!! I hope it’s a bloody wind up!!
His best days were definitely at the storm
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:15 pm 87 NRL appearances in ten years!! I hope it’s a bloody wind up!!
Glad we didn’t base our recruitment on NRL appearances when we signed Field and French