Cade Cust

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
WiganRL4Life

Cade Cust

Post by WiganRL4Life »

Been interviewed and mentions contract negotiations are ongoing. Interestingly he mentions wanting game time at 9.

“We’ve had pretty open discussions at the moment so the focus for me is getting a good amount of games under my belt and playing good footy and hopefully playing good footy at nine and showing what I can do there.”

Source:
https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/wi ... act-future
Blackpool_Pie

Re: Cade Cust

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

WiganRL4Life wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:15 pm Been interviewed and mentions contract negotiations are ongoing. Interestingly he mentions wanting game time at 9.

“We’ve had pretty open discussions at the moment so the focus for me is getting a good amount of games under my belt and playing good footy and hopefully playing good footy at nine and showing what I can do there.”

Source:
https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/wi ... act-future
From reading that article, I'm hoping I'm reading it right by thinking we may not have offered him anything yet but he's willing to stay and he's been told he needs to get game time in and perform well to earn that contract
Pieman13

Post by Pieman13 »

Good to hear. Not good enough at half along side Smith, need a proper marquee half along side Smith.

He's got the rest the year to prove if he's worth keeping as a 9.

Personally I wouldn't resign him. Don't think his body would hold up at 9, he always seems to be struggling with his arms strapped up and never looks match fit. Shame really, seems a nice bloke and more committed than say Mago.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I'm not sure I agree with this he's not a good half. Him and Smith where brilliant last year it just hasn't happened though in the games he's played.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

He’s showed glimpses of what he can do at 9 on those few occasions he’s played there which some people then harp on about how Powell should be doing that - begs the question if he’s a better 9 is he sacrificing himself for the team as we’re short of halves?

Be interesting if Pete trials him at 9 with Rocky alongside Smith…
Pieman13

Post by Pieman13 »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:42 pm I'm not sure I agree with this he's not a good half. Him and Smith where brilliant last year it just hasn't happened though in the games he's played.
He was fine, but come on do you think he's as good as a Williams, Croft, Lomax, Tomkins, Lewis etc ?

I can understand persisting with Smith with him being a non quota player and his wage likely being average to low. But not with Cust, unless he can play great at 9 and be are starting 9 going forward which I doubt.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

He's got no chance of time at number 9 while Powel there
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:42 pm I'm not sure I agree with this he's not a good half. Him and Smith where brilliant last year it just hasn't happened though in the games he's played.
They played opposite sides last season
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I agree with most of what's been written. He looked promising last year until his injury and, given his relative lack of previous experience as a starter, I was hoping for an improved version this time around. Sadly, he's struggling and I hope we haven't decided to keep him yet. The fact that he's not fighting off offers to go back home says it all really. He knows he's not been playing well enough but there's still time. I'm a great believer in the idea that quota players have to be above average and so far this season he hasn't been.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

pearsy wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:37 pm He's got no chance of time at number 9 while Powel there
The same Powell who was dropped for the last match?