Australian commentator believes rugby league giants will make a move for St Helens Jack Welsby

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Australian commentator believes rugby league giants will make a move for St Helens Jack Welsby

Post by josie andrews »

AT the age of just 22, Jack Welsby has won it all already.

A Super League Grand Final, Challenge Cup and World Club Challenge, the St Helens star is arguably one of Super League’s greatest ever young talents.

With that in mind, there has of course been speculation about Welsby’s future with the NRL said to be on alert to make a play for the mercurial star

And for Australian commentator Andrew Voss, he believes that the Sydney Roosters could line up a move for him.

Voss tweeted: “The Sydney Roosters to make a play for St Helens star Jack Welsby…That’s what my crystal ball is telling me..”

With a number of Super League youngsters making the trip to the NRL, including Will Pryce, Kai Pearce-Paul and Bailey Hodgson, Welsby’s teammate Tommy Makinson says that the game has to do more to keep the likes of Welsby in the northern hemisphere.

Following the 34-16 win over Wigan Warriors on Friday night and scoring two tries Makinson said: “A message to Super League, we absolutely have to keep these players in our competition.

“He is 22-years-old and he has won it all but he keeps going.

We have to keep players like him in Super League. At least for three of four more years so I can keep scoring them tries.”

https://www.totalrl.com/australian-comm ... ck-welsby/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Australian commentator believes rugby league giants will make a move for St Helens Jack Welsby

Post by josie andrews »

the St Helens star is arguably one of Super League’s greatest ever young talents.
I just don’t get the hype with this lad! He’s a good player but I really do think these people go over the top sometimes!
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Australian commentator believes rugby league giants will make a move for St Helens Jack Welsby

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:40 pm
the St Helens star is arguably one of Super League’s greatest ever young talents.
I just don’t get the hype with this lad! He’s a good player but I really do think these people go over the top sometimes!
I think the statement above is a bit overkill but i remember similar things being said about richie myler when he came onto the scene. One thing i will credit Welsby with though above other talented young players is he does have a really good rugby IQ, he gets himself into very very good positions and he reads plays in attack really well. He won a GF through determination and reading the flight of the ball i know people could say French messed that up but only Welsby chased it down he earnt the right to win that game

I still think Tomkins is probably a head above anything thats been produced on this island in the last 10-15 years - certainly in the backs i cant think of another who had everything like he did, the pre-NRL Tomkins was something else
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:50 pm
I think the statement above is a bit overkill but i remember similar things being said about richie myler when he came onto the scene. One thing i will credit Welsby with though above other talented young players is he does have a really good rugby IQ, he gets himself into very very good positions and he reads plays in attack really well. He won a GF through determination and reading the flight of the ball i know people could say French messed that up but only Welsby chased it down he earnt the right to win that game

I still think Tomkins is probably a head above anything thats been produced on this island in the last 10-15 years - certainly in the backs i cant think of another who had everything like he did, the pre-NRL Tomkins was something else
One fault that Welsby has is his positioning at full back. Regarding Tomkins, he is the best full back I have seen at Wigan, and I have seen a lot.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I wanted to post about Sam Tomkins but felt I was being biased towards a Wigan produced player.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Hes good enough josie ,but he will get that attitude smashed out of him in aus( one way or the other).
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:13 pm

I wanted to post about Sam Tomkins but felt I was being biased towards a Wigan produced player.
Tomkins for me is the best that’s been produced in the last 10-15 years I’d say probably one of the last elite player to be produced time will tell on a few youngsters coming through

Does make you think about standards etc I mean back when I loved watching rugby league you had the likes of Farrell, Scunthorpe, long, Morley, Ellis - these were really top end British players and there was a layer very close underneath them with the likes of Lowe’s, Cunningham, deacon, sinfield, maguire etc

You think back to the days when there were 4 great teams in Leeds, wigan, saints, Bradford and every game between them was a star studded blockbuster

It’s just not like that now - there’s an interview on sky sports in which wilkin says the same thing and it’s bang on sport is better when there are giants - everyone on a level playing ground doesn’t make for good theatre

There’s a reason F1 is more popular than indy car for example - people like giants and it gives neutrals a easy in to watch games because e they know who should win and who shouldn’t and that allows them to understand if the games a shock or expected result also allows them to pick games to watch based on quality

I’m a casual football fan for example - I will watch Man City vs Man Utd but I’m not going to watch Brentford vs wolves as the teams mean nothing to me

If welsby is the tip of the iceberg then to me it shows a decline in talent rather than someone exceptional that’s not a dig at welsby he’s a fine player but an elite player he isn’t yet
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Once upon a time there was a big head from St Helens, certain Wigan fans where hoping he would go to the NRL where somebody would wipe the arrogance of his fizzog

The end

:D
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

medlocke wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:44 pm Once upon a time there was a big head from St Helens, certain Wigan fans where hoping he would go to the NRL where somebody would wipe the arrogance of his fizzog

The end

:D
😂😂
mikey

Post by mikey »

Why does the likes of roby,Lomax,makinson,Percival over the years stay loyal to a small club and not want to experience the Nrl a former golden boot winner who could still play in Australia present it’s unbelievable how they keep these so jack welsby going nowhere salary cap your having a laugh!!!!