Australian commentator believes rugby league giants will make a move for St Helens Jack Welsby

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Firestarter

Re: Australian commentator believes rugby league giants will make a move for St Helens Jack Welsby

Post by Firestarter »

medlocke wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:44 pm Once upon a time there was a big head from St Helens, certain Wigan fans where hoping he would go to the NRL where somebody would wipe the arrogance of his fizzog

The end

:D
Lovely.See thats nicer
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Caboosegg

Re: Australian commentator believes rugby league giants will make a move for St Helens Jack Welsby

Post by Caboosegg »

mikey wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:41 pm Why does the likes of roby,Lomax,makinson,Percival over the years stay loyal to a small club and not want to experience the Nrl a former golden boot winner who could still play in Australia present it’s unbelievable how they keep these so jack welsby going nowhere salary cap your having a laugh!!!!
Roby is the last of the generation that very few people went to the NRL from.

Lomax is to injury prone the amount of time he was out is the reason he's not in the NRL (Lso don't the rfl hold his contract?l

Percival is a super league player and not NRL quality. I imagine he would do as well as gildart has.

Makinson has developed into the player he is and is noe one of the best players in the country but that is more recent than you think. When Budgie was with us (pre NRL) he was a better winger, Charnley was also better. McGilvery was picked for England ahead of him.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

mikey wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:41 pm Why does the likes of roby,Lomax,makinson,Percival over the years stay loyal to a small club and not want to experience the Nrl a former golden boot winner who could still play in Australia present it’s unbelievable how they keep these so jack welsby going nowhere salary cap your having a laugh!!!!
A small club ??
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:05 am
Roby is the last of the generation that very few people went to the NRL from.

Lomax is to injury prone the amount of time he was out is the reason he's not in the NRL (Also don't the rfl hold his contract?l

Percival is a super league player and not NRL quality. I imagine he would do as well as gildart has.

Makinson has developed into the player he is and is noe one of the best players in the country but that is more recent than you think. When Budgie was with us (pre NRL) he was a better winger, Charnley was also better. McGilvery was picked for England ahead of him.
Why would the RFL hold Lomax’s contract??
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

didnt they hold radlinski's and Scluthorpes?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:43 pm didnt they hold radlinski's and Scluthorpes?
i think they did but they were centrally contracted.. We had that short period of time where Union was sniffing around so some players were rewarded with a central contract

i could be wrong, but dont think we have them at the minute
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

the pieman wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:56 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:43 pm didnt they hold radlinski's and Scluthorpes?
i think they did but they were centrally contracted.. We had that short period of time where Union was sniffing around so some players were rewarded with a central contract

didn't they stop doing after Rads because they couldn't afford to do so?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

the pieman wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:56 pm

You’re right about Radlinski & Sculthorpe it was a Sport England thing I think that paid a significant amount towards their salary to keep them in Rugby League.

Never heard of anyone else being given that sort of a contract since.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan