Squad v Wire

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
widdenoldboy

Squad v Wire

Post by widdenoldboy »

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/06/ ... rington-5/

Wigan squad for Warrington
Follow @WiganWarriorsRL
16 June 2023
21-man squad announced for Sunday’s Challenge Cup Quarter Final clash against Warrington Wolves, in association with Greenmount Projects.
Matt Peet has made one change to the squad ahead of this fixture.
Wigan Warriors v Warrington Wolves, Sunday 18 June, 2:30pm K.O.
Matt Peet has named his 21-man squad for Sunday’s Challenge Cup Quarter Final clash with Warrington Wolves at the DW Stadium (2:30pm K.O.).
Peet has made one change to his 21-player squad as Sam Powell is replaced by Ethan Havard, who comes back into contention after recovering from an elbow injury sustained in Wigan’s Challenge Cup victory at Leeds Rhinos last month.

Wigan squad for Warrington:

1. Jai Field
2. Bevan French
3. Toby King
4. Jake Wardle
5. Liam Marshall
6. CadeCust
7. Harry Smith
8. Brad Singleton
10. Liam Byrne
12. Liam Farrell
13. Morgan Smithies
15. Kaide Ellis
16. Ethan Havard
19. JoeShorrocks
20. Patrick Mago
21. lain Thornley
22. Brad O'Neill
23. Abbas Mlskl
26. HarvieHIII
27. Junior Nsemba
32. Ryan Hampshire

Tickets for the fixture are still available to buy online HERE or on Sunday from the DW Stadium Ticket Office, which will be open from 11am until kick off. Please note only card payments will be accepted on matchday.
nathan_rugby

Re: Squad v Wire

Post by nathan_rugby »

We are a better balanced team with
- field - fullback
- French - wing
- Cust - 6

I get the whole debate about French wasted on the wing and in isolation I agree, but Field isn’t a 6 and we don’t have an experienced 7 who can organise and let him play off the cuff.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

For once I agree is Powell dropped
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Suzieb wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:51 pm For once I agree is Powell dropped
Hadn't noticed that and double checked - this is the 21 so dropped or injured then.

I suppose we are near full strength in the prop department , just Cooper injured and Singo with a game under his belt, guess Havard will play
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Warrington Wolves Squad for Challenge Cup Quarter Final

Warrington Wolves 21-man squad:

Matty Ashton, Joe Bullock, Daryl Clark, Ben Currie, Josh Drinkwater, Gil Dudson, Matt Dufty, Lucas Green, James Harrison, Sam Kasiano, Peter Mata’utia, Greg Minikin, Joe Philbin, Stefan Ratchford, Matty Russell, Josh Thewlis, Luke Thomas, Paul Vaughan, Danny Walker, George Williams, Connor Wrench.

https://warringtonwolves.com/news/2023/ ... uad-named/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

i'd probably go

French
Miski
King
Wardle
Marshall
Field
Smith
Byrne
O'Neill
Ellis
Farrell
Smithies
Shorrocks

Bench
Singleton
Havard
Cust
Hill or Nsemba

Havard should be relatively fit as it was an upper limb injury so take him out the initial firing line and Singleton only back last week. With Cust on the bench it gives us the option of him playing 9 and covering the halves if we get an injury and can then move French or Field around

Unless Peet wants 4 forwards on the bench then i'd agree and go Field 1, French 2, Cust 6, and you put Mago or the other of Hill / Nsemba on the bench
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:49 pm We are a better balanced team with
- field - fullback
- French - wing
- Cust - 6

I get the whole debate about French wasted on the wing and in isolation I agree, but Field isn’t a 6 and we don’t have an experienced 7 who can organise and let him play off the cuff.
+1 only switch when its suited
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Field at 6? Dudson, Kasiano and the rest will have a "Field day" as they'll surely be told to run at him. And our right-edge defence with King, Field, Miski together will be targeted whenever Wire get into our 20.

I think I read Kyle Amor saying he'd play Shorrocks at 6 for his defence. I agree.

Field on the bench, bring him on when they're tiring.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

He will either play Cust or Shorrocks at 6.

There is no way French or Field will play there again this season.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Has Powell been injured? i find it very surprising for him to be dropped from the 21- there doesnt seem to be a mention of an injury though so maybe he has
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure