Wigan vs Wire

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Brennox7

Wigan vs Wire

Post by Brennox7 »

I’ll be the first to admit, I didn’t see that performance coming.

That is up there with one of the best for me. I struggled to see how Wigan could match there size etc but fair play, with a man sent off that’s a tremendous effort.

I’ll be honest I said Wigan wouldn’t be good enough today after the last 6 weeks and I’ll wear humble pie today after that.

Suppose you just can’t write the warriors off! Unbelievable effort
mickali1

Re: Wigan vs Wire

Post by mickali1 »

Brennox7 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:54 pm I’ll be the first to admit, I didn’t see that performance coming.

That is up there with one of the best for me. I struggled to see how Wigan could match there size etc but fair play, with a man sent off that’s a tremendous effort.

I’ll be honest I said Wigan wouldn’t be good enough today after the last 6 weeks and I’ll wear humble pie today after that.

I'll be the second :D .

Excellent performance.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

mickali1 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:02 pm
Brennox7 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:54 pm I’ll be the first to admit, I didn’t see that performance coming.

I'll be the second :D .

Excellent performance.
I was 50/50 and was so thrilled with the defensive effort
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

I'll be the first to burst the bubble, Good game great defence but it was a one of knock out game, don't expect to see the same in coming SL games, this win has done nothing more than paper over the cracks, big improvements need making to the squad for us to be a dominant force to be reckoned with again
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

Completely agree medlocke. Still won’t see us through the tougher parts of the season.

But can’t knock that today. Unbelievable. Harvard was outstanding an all and for once it wasn’t field of French who won it for us.

Hopefully build some form now
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

medlocke wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:43 pm I'll be the first to burst the bubble, Good game great defence but it was a one of knock out game, don't expect to see the same in coming SL games, this win has done nothing more than paper over the cracks, big improvements need making to the squad for us to be a dominant force to be reckoned with again
Wigan play well - its just papering the cracks
Wigan play badly - booo down with Wigan players and coach.

We are a miserable bunch of fans
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:55 pm
medlocke wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:43 pm I'll be the first to burst the bubble, Good game great defence but it was a one of knock out game, don't expect to see the same in coming SL games, this win has done nothing more than paper over the cracks, big improvements need making to the squad for us to be a dominant force to be reckoned with again
Wigan play well - its just papering the cracks
Wigan play badly - booo down with Wigan players and coach.

We are a miserable bunch of fans
Say that again. Just can't satisfy some. Yet first jump on bandwagon.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

We're in the hat and moneybags wire are not job done, I don't fault the effort most weeks and today the sending off galvanised us.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Have we actually played?
Nothing on sky sports or love rugby league.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

I get what Meds is saying completely. Lots of positives but still a few negatives as well.

The positives

Team spirit and heart was obviously there. To go a man down (and one of our bigger forwards lost as well) against a big Wire team and to still come out on top took a lot of effort and everyone put a shift in.

Havard really lifted the pack and did big minutes. I was wondering about his fitness but that performance shot those doubts down completely. I just hope it was a case of recorver rather than using injections as I've seen quoted on here.

Hill looks to be getting better and better. He looked good at Saints and when he came on he looked strong against a big Wire pack.

Defence was tenacious and caused a lot of issues for Wire and is a reason why they made so many errors.

O Neil, while not particularly running the show, picked the pace up a few times and got us on the front foot. Something we've lacked for a number of years.

Smith kicked 3 from 3 one from the touchline which won us the game. He also controlled the game well a few times and only made one or two poor kicks.

Negatives:

We still struggled to create much. We relied on the same kick over and over again on the last tackle in their 20. Our attack had no fluidity to it and I struggle to see how we can score tries as and when needed.

Field and French were kept quiet all game, but I think we can allow for that with them having the extra man for 73 minutes of the game.

Singleton looks absolutely done and I really want to see more of Nsemba but Peet seems reluctant to throw him in.

In summery I think we rode our luck a little and I was worried most of the second half as we ran out of steam, but we really dug in and just crept over the line. They made a lot of mistakes. As said many were from our tenacious defence but they will be disappointed about the sheer number of dropped balls irrespective of tough defence. Big win and definitely a morale boost. Still issues with our attack but that was definitely more like what we need to see effort wise.

Last little bit of my waffle - what was Ellis thinking? Just forced a goal line drop out and he goes and headbutts Ratchford twice!