Goalkicking wins games!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Bob the Builder

Goalkicking wins games!

Post by Bob the Builder »

And so it proves today! After the rubbish served up over previous weeks I tip my hat to you Mr Harry Smith. What a goalkicking masterclass young man! Long may it continue. And not to mention your superb field kicking today. Excellent performance, well done! 👏👏
Wintergreen

Re: Goalkicking wins games!

Post by Wintergreen »

It does.

Great to hear that Harry Smith has been putting the effort into extra goalkicking last week.

"The more I practice the luckier I am" ;)
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

I wonder if Harry reads this forum and took some advice to practise goal kicking a little bit :lol:

In all seriousness that kick from the touchline was absolute class and even at that stage was absolutely vital.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:33 am I wonder if Harry reads this forum and took some advice to practise goal kicking a little bit :lol:

In all seriousness that kick from the touchline was absolute class and even at that stage was absolutely vital.
Paul Deacon was at the club last week with the coach, think it was, from Sale RU, maybe he helped him a little bit. We know he can kick goals & organise with his kicking game 😊 Maybe his confidence had been knocked a bit?

Perhaps something away from rugby league? They do have lives away from the game.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
benjamaphone

Post by benjamaphone »

Harry did mention that Joe Shorrocks had been helping him in the week - I wasn't sure in what capacity though, is Joe a kicker?
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

benjamaphone wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:49 am Harry did mention that Joe Shorrocks had been helping him in the week - I wasn't sure in what capacity though, is Joe a kicker?
:lol: I reckon Joe had to fetch the ball!!!! and maybe add a bit of barracking.
benjamaphone

Post by benjamaphone »

widdenoldboy wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:52 am
benjamaphone wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:49 am Harry did mention that Joe Shorrocks had been helping him in the week - I wasn't sure in what capacity though, is Joe a kicker?
:lol: I reckon Joe had to fetch the ball!!!! and maybe add a bit of barracking.
:lol: well whatever he did it definitely helped! Chuffed for Harry, thought he spoke really well after the game too - want to see him at Wigan for a long time 👍
endoman

Post by endoman »

He mentioned another name also which I didn't catch, maybe that was a kicking coach?
benjamaphone

Post by benjamaphone »

endoman wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:04 am
He mentioned another name also which I didn't catch, maybe that was a kicking coach?
Yeah I didn't catch it - iPlayer subtitles said Jack Phillips so all in-house help 😊
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

I'm fairly certain Shorrocks kicked a few goals while in the academy. Never first choice but filled in. I can't be sure though now that Bilko's website with all the historic academy results and lineups has gone. What a great resource that was.

Although it might have been that Shorrocks was there to provide a bit of competition or to fetch the kicks and make sure his mate wasn't training by himself. I think Jack Phillips is Head of Analysis, so there might have been some video review. Whatever they've been doing appeared to have paid off as he seemed a bit more patient in his approach and was striking the ball well.