Matty Peet shares praise for Morgan Smithies as he prepares to make landmark for the club

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Matty Peet shares praise for Morgan Smithies as he prepares to make landmark for the club

Post by josie andrews »

Morgan Smithies is preparing to make his 100th senior appearance for Wigan Warriors in this weekend’s game against Salford Red Devils.

The 22-year-old made his first team debut against Catalans Dragons back in March 2019, and has gone on to become a key player at the DW Stadium.

Head coach Matty Peet states Smithies is someone he loves to work with, and can only see the loose forward getting better.

“He’s very young to have played so many games,” he said.

He’s all action and all effort, with great physicality.

“It’s an outstanding achievement for him.

“He’s a credit to his family and his junior club Siddal.

We just love Morgan, and we think he’ll just go from strength to strength.

“I thought he was outstanding at the weekend against Warrington.

“I personally love working with him.”

Peet is also pleased by the number of other academy products currently competing for places in the Wigan first team.

“It’s not just about getting homegrown players in the team, they’ve got to excel and perform, but it does give you an edge when you have that flavour in your team,” he added.

It was a massive announcement that we get Ethan (Havard) for four more years.

“The challenge is keeping these players and building around them.

“At the weekend, Brad O’Neill typified the pride and passion you get when you have homegrown players who come through the system together.

“I loved what he was about and he’s someone else we are looking to build around.

Sam Powell’s injury is great timing for him because he’s been champing at the bit.

“He had his run in the Challenge Cup last year and he’s gone to another with his physicality.”

This Sunday’s game away to the Red Devils will be Peet’s 50th game as head coach.

The 39-year-old took over at Robin Park Arena ahead of the 2022 campaign, and guided the club to its 20th Challenge Cup win in his first year in charge.

“I love it,” he stated.

“I enjoy every day. I enjoy the highs and the lows, and the pressure.

“It’s not a job to me, I find it really fun, and lets hope I get to 60.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ub-4191987
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Blackpool_Pie

Re: Matty Peet shares praise for Morgan Smithies as he prepares to make landmark for the club

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Doesn't get the praise or recognition he deserves because he doesn't do the flashy stuff. In the last 18 months or so he's really channeled his aggression in a better way. You don't see him in as many scraps or giving as many penalties away and I don't think I've seen a player work as hard as he does for the full 80 week in week out.
Blackpool_Pie

Re: Matty Peet shares praise for Morgan Smithies as he prepares to make landmark for the club

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Also can I point out the article doesn't actually say which milestone he's going to reach :lol:
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Is this what we want from our head coach "It’s not a job to me, I find it really fun" , could never see Graham Lowe or John Monie saying such things
up the junction

Post by up the junction »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:01 pm Also can I point out the article doesn't actually say which milestone he's going to reach :lol:
I read it as his 100 th senior appearance.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

up the junction wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:31 pm
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:01 pm Also can I point out the article doesn't actually say which milestone he's going to reach :lol:
I read it as his 100 th senior appearance.
Yup I missed that right at the beginning :roll:
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

medlocke wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:16 pm Is this what we want from our head coach "It’s not a job to me, I find it really fun" , could never see Graham Lowe or John Monie saying such things
Aye. Imagine reading the whole thing and only picking out the fact our head coach enjoys his job as something to comment on negatively
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:00 pm Doesn't get the praise or recognition he deserves because he doesn't do the flashy stuff. In the last 18 months or so he's really channeled his aggression in a better way. You don't see him in as many scraps or giving as many penalties away and I don't think I've seen a player work as hard as he does for the full 80 week in week out.
Not 100% sure I agree with the scraps and penalties comments. When he was tackled on the try line v Wire añd he was getting, something g provoked him into squaring off against the Wire tacklers before another Wigan player pulled him up and away.
I like his commitment but always worry that he is not too far away from a brain implosion but then that was Ellis' job on Sunday.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Big stick

Post by Big stick »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:49 pm
medlocke wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:16 pm Is this what we want from our head coach "It’s not a job to me, I find it really fun" , could never see Graham Lowe or John Monie saying such things
Aye. Imagine reading the whole thing and only picking out the fact our head coach enjoys his job as something to comment on negatively
I’m with Blackpool so what if he finds it fun it doesn’t mean he put any less work in than other Head Coaches. I’d argue to say it’s a good thing he find it fun as the pressure on coaches is massive.

On Smithies it’s crazy how much experience the lad has at 22. He does have it in his game to give away silly pens but his commitment in games is unquestionable.
Soul Kitchen

Post by Soul Kitchen »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:49 pm
Some folk will pick holes in a colander.
Makes me wonder what goes on in their shallow lives?