Mago

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
NICKYKISS

Re: Mago

Post by NICKYKISS »

medlocke wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:42 am
NICKYKISS wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:03 pm
medlocke wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:33 pm
So explain all the other props that have failed at Wigan over the past decade, somethings going wrong somewhere
I was responding to somebody who picked up this coaching staff about Mago’s performance, as though they’ve ruined him. Peet, Lockers, Leuluai etc didn’t sign Singleton either and he’s equally as bad but they’re doing absolutely fine in working with and improving Byrne, Havard, Ellis, Hill etc and Cooper was going well before his injury. I’ve no issue with the blame being laid at the door of the team of people who’ve recruited some of the dross we’ve had at prop but the poster made it sound like we’d signed a World Beater in Mago and ruined him. I’m simply pointing out that his NRL career was next to nothing to write home about, so I wouldn’t be too surprised that he’s not pulled up trees here. It’s tough to get more out of a player who looks like the game is a paid holiday to him.
Ok, what ever is going on has been going on longer than Peet, Lockers & Lulu, so I can't really blame them for that, we have had players who where far better before coming to Wigan than they where at Wigan, Jeff Lima, Big Frank, Epalahame Lauaki, etc
It has indeed and it needs to change. The strike rate at which we’ve signed good props has been nothing short of appalling. Maybe there are some signs of better decisions under Peet and his coaching staff, now they’re involved in recruitment decisions as well. I make it that we’ve signed Ellis, Mago and Cooper in that area during Peets time as head coach and 2 out of 3 is an improvement. I’ve also watched Sam Walters in recent weeks and he looks extremely promising. We have to get the next couple of signings right though, so we’ll see how we go.
Shevvylad

Post by Shevvylad »

Frank Paul once told me ( at a funeral of all places ) that Wane had instructed him when he arrived at Wigan, that he should go to ground at the first contact carrying the ball, so as to speed up the ptb. This may well have been the same instruction given to these other props, and goes against what made them attractive signings in the first place.....
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Shevvylad wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:03 pm Frank Paul once told me ( at a funeral of all places ) that Wane had instructed him when he arrived at Wigan, that he should go to ground at the first contact carrying the ball, so as to speed up the ptb. This may well have been the same instruction given to these other props, and goes against what made them attractive signings in the first place.....
I'm not sure that's the case when you see players like Hill, Havard and Nsemba driving those post contact meters
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Happened to watch last seasons CC QF, Wakey v Wigan yesterday.

Probably the last tome Mago had a good impact on the game....also noted some other things.

Bateman was immense, always looking to create something.
Field was supporting up the middle much more and took some great balls from Mago!
Hardaker also looked good - it was his last game for us if I recall correctly?

Generally we played with a high temp on both sides of the ball, maybe the last time we really clicked and blew a team off the park.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

widdenoldboy wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:40 pm Happened to watch last seasons CC QF, Wakey v Wigan yesterday.

Probably the last tome Mago had a good impact on the game....also noted some other things.

Bateman was immense, always looking to create something.
Field was supporting up the middle much more and took some great balls from Mago!
Hardaker also looked good - it was his last game for us if I recall correctly?

Generally we played with a high temp on both sides of the ball, maybe the last time we really clicked and blew a team off the park.
Briers did bring a lot to the team
Shevvylad

Post by Shevvylad »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:12 pm
Shevvylad wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:03 pm Frank Paul once told me ( at a funeral of all places ) that Wane had instructed him when he arrived at Wigan, that he should go to ground at the first contact carrying the ball, so as to speed up the ptb. This may well have been the same instruction given to these other props, and goes against what made them attractive signings in the first place.....
I'm not sure that's the case when you see players like Hill, Havard and Nsemba driving those post contact meters
No, agreed. I was responding to Medlockes's earlier comment ref, FPN, Lauaki, and the times of Pettybourne and Seuseu....
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Typical timing today, with Mago having his best game in a good while. He ran with vigour, made a couple of sensible offloads and looked threatening in his spells. Days like today just frustrate you a bit more though in regards to why he can’t produce more often. There’s no lack of power or ability.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

NICKYKISS wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:13 pm
Pbickerstaff wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:03 pm Can’t believe it
Mago came from oz a class prop playing at the highest level
He is the only forward that passes in a tackle
The issue is down to this years shite training staff who can’t motivate and train him to the English game
Ffs he is way above singleton
They manage to train and motivate most of the other players. He was a bit part player at every club he was ever at in the NRL and it’s been easy enough to see why. The lad just looks like he happens to be ok at a game he can make a living from, other than that, I just don’t think it means much to him.
Nice to have insightful comments on the issue. Thanks.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

NICKYKISS wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:46 pm Typical timing today, with Mago having his best game in a good while. He ran with vigour, made a couple of sensible offloads and looked threatening in his spells. Days like today just frustrate you a bit more though in regards to why he can’t produce more often. There’s no lack of power or ability.
There is, will power.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

Mago has all the attributes to be a top quality player BUT he’s lazy. Ala Karl price. Such a waste as well but I don’t think he will ever change. A shame as well because we don’t have many forwards who don’t get dominated in carries like he does.