French And Field

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Bob the Builder

French And Field

Post by Bob the Builder »

Two great players, without a doubt. Two match winners, agreed. Two crowd pleasers, yep. Two players with electric pace and ability, absolutely! But we cannot sccomodate both (I'll get shot down for this) and in our attempt to accommodate, it is having a detrimental effect on the teams performances. What exactly is their best position? Both are wasted if put on the wing. Neither is any good in the halves. Cannot pass nor control a game. And if I'm honest at full back, neither are competent under the high ball or reliable as last line of defence. But given half a chance, both can score a scintillating try. So, what is the answer? Here comes contraversy! Sell one of them, release funds in the salary cap and overseas quote. Buy an experienced No. 6 (I guess from Australia) who is quality and can control a game and break down defences etc. etc. Maybe somebody like Trent Barrett. I've put my tin helmet on ready for all the abuse, but I believe I have a valid point.
DaveO

Re: French And Field

Post by DaveO »

We can accommodate both and how is blindingly obvious. Field at full back and French on the wing. The idea we should get rid of a class player like French because we have a decent enough winger like Miski is ridiculous. That sort of thinking would have meant we never signed Offiah.

They aren’t wasted either. Field is in the right position at 1 and French is an excellent winger.
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

Last season the back three of Field, French and Marshall scored more than 80 tries between them. We were exciting to watch and terrorised defences. How have we abandoned this so quickly?

Miski is great but as Dave O says we should not be detrimentally shuffling our back line in order to accommodate someone who is simply first class back up

I guess the issue is that Cust hasn’t cut the mustard as a 6 but I’d have Bevan back on the wing in a heartbeat
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

DaveO wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:17 pm We can accommodate both and how is blindingly obvious. Field at full back and French on the wing. The idea we should get rid of a class player like French because we have a decent enough winger like Miski is ridiculous. That sort of thinking would have meant we never signed Offiah.

They aren’t wasted either. Field is in the right position at 1 and French is an excellent winger.
+1
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:17 pm We can accommodate both and how is blindingly obvious. Field at full back and French on the wing. The idea we should get rid of a class player like French because we have a decent enough winger like Miski is ridiculous. That sort of thinking would have meant we never signed Offiah.

To me this is the only way it works,French scoring for fun Field excellent as 1 at the moment it isn’t working and that’s because neither is a half back,never have never will be so get them in the correct position and hopefully the tries will fly in.

Or get rid of one of them because like I say it ain’t working like this so it’s time to stop pretending it is.
endoman

Post by endoman »

agree, they aren't half backs, but they don't suit our plan of backs running the ball out of our goal line etc, which Miski does well. I hope a solution is found soon.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

They both made big errors tonight which contributed to our loss. We will solve that problem for next season.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:59 pm They both made big errors tonight which contributed to our loss. We will solve that problem for next season.
Will we be buying a proper 6 ?
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

endoman wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:57 pm agree, they aren't half backs, but they don't suit our plan of backs running the ball out of our goal line etc, which Miski does well. I hope a solution is found soon.
Two great creative halves with an attacking style will sort this but we also have to get forwards with real go forward also( injuries havent helped).This isnt helped by our hookers and is why we have signed leeming imo
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

The problem we have is that Cust for whatever reason has lost his form at 6 (although at 9 he did well last week) and Hampshire is where?

Shorrocks at 6 was never long term so I can see why they are trying field.and French at the halves.

As it doesn't seem to be working as well as hoped we should let cust play the halves again and persist with him. Shorrocks can provide the cover and get our back three sorted.

I have no issue with miski and I.dont believe its a case of we are persisting Mislk earned his chance and has performed extremely well. French hasn't show this season he will be better on the wing than miski (we know he.can be) but on form no he wasn't. That edge was a turnstile at.the start of the season.

But putting French on the wing doesn't change we let Wakefield score 26 points past us.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.