Sticky plaster Over A Gaping Wound

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Bob the Builder

Sticky plaster Over A Gaping Wound

Post by Bob the Builder »

For years now we have papered over the massive cracks. Inconsistency and average has become the norm and seemingly acceptable to all at the Wigan club. We have failed to improve, whilst other teams have kicked on and made noticeable improvements and seem to have a vision for future success. If you stand still you go backwards, but I don't even think we're standing still, more keeping our heads above water. Yes we have won the Challenge Cup recently (albeit, let's be honest we nearly lost that game) and we have the occasional magic result which makes us all think that things are improving. But as I said, we are simply papering over the cracks. When will the Wigan club, from Chairman to coaching staff realise the importance of the spine of a team which needs quality personnel. Remember the Wigan of old, they had a quality spine of 1,6,7,9 & 13 and remember how good we were. Look at some of the quality other SL teams have in these positions and how they dictate a game. Whereas at the moment we continue to chop and change these pivotal positions, play people out of position, or simply put somebody there because they have found a bit of form. I could also mention goalkicking and the importance of an influential leader as a captain, and not just given captaincy because it suits. The Wigan club needs to start to respect the importance of these positions again, and only then will the true glory days return.
medlocke

Re: Sticky plaster Over A Gaping Wound

Post by medlocke »

Good to see somebody else bring this up
Bobby-WRL

Post by Bobby-WRL »

Matt P inherited this team & he is 18 months in.

1 - We have arguably the two best full backs in the league (granted we need to pick one and stick with it)
6- They are clearly working on this
7- Settled Scrum Half for the foreseeable & future captain IMO
9- Sorted as we know
13 - Smithies

It is only a 6 where we can say we have an unsettled spine.

I think we can win it this year but I’m certain next year after the signings are announced we will all feel in a much better place. We are going in the right direction.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

I think the spine of the team is slowly taking shape.

1 - Field/French

6 - Massive gap there. I have a feeling we will see a major stand off signed in the off season

7 - Smith is a good player despite his inconsistencies with place kicking. He needs a good stand off with him

9 - Leeming coming in ONeil is good enough. I feel that Powell will be forced out

13 - I still really like Smithies but feel maybe he needs to transition into a dynamic prop (and bulk up slightly for this) or expand his game beyond just defence and aggression

As much as you can complain and we've had some bad losses this season, I'm still feeling like we are heading in the right direction squad wise. Next season we have players coming in we've been needing and if we sign a good stand off (easier said than done) and sort out our kicking, I feel we will be in a good position
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Not a whole lot of point slagging off individuals because it's where the team wants to go and what it wants to be that seems to be the crux.
As it stands (and I appreciate that we will be better when our forwards recover from injuries) we are a gifted and inconsistent side. We score amazing tries that few other side could score but cannot score from positions battering the try line that other sides manage on a regular basis.
French and Field do wonderful things (Field's first try last night) but make basic horrible errors that mean the minuses cancel out the plusses.
I think we can win the Challenge Cup because on any given day we can produce special efforts but we can't win a Grand Final because we aren't reliable.
The club may have to look at French and Field and say one or the other or use them differently and also look at Byrne and Smithies to see if we can do better.
For the remainder of this season, we should play Nsemba and Hill as many times as we can, bearing in mind their youth; ship out Mago; use King as an alternative for injury and try Miski maybe at centre to see if he can adapt; move Thornley on sharpish because he just can't defend and decide what we do with Hampshire.
I really do think the Cup can be ours but after that - let's plan for next season and beyond. We have new players incoming so let's be prepared.
Bob the Builder

Bobby-WRL wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:16 am Matt P inherited this team & he is 18 months in.

1 - We have arguably the two best full backs in the league (granted we need to pick one and stick with it)
9- Sorted as we know
13 - Smithies

I think we can win it this year but I’m certain next year after the signings are announced we will all feel in a much better place. We are going in the right direction.
I agree that 2 into 1 (did you see what I did there with fullback) is an issue and Peet needs to make his mind up. What exactly are they doing about 6 (imo the most important position) because all I can see is a complete and utter dog's dinner of it from Chairman to coach. 9 still worries me. Golden boy stays playing and O'Neil leaves could be a horrible scenario. For me Smithies will never be a quality loose forward. Needs bulking up and primed for Prop forward. He certainly has the attitude for it. Also, since when did a great player become (without time in office) a great coach. What experience at top level does Lockers and Tommy have? Isn't Lockers our defence coach? Well that's not working out too well this season is it? Finally, if Powell (please) retires, where do you think he will end up? Yep, on the coaching staff. God help us then.
Bob the Builder

Bobby-WRL wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:16 am Matt P inherited this team & he is 18 months in.

9- Sorted as we know
13 - Smithies

I agree that 2 into 1 (did you see what I did there with fullback) is an issue and Peet needs to make his mind up. What exactly are they doing about 6 (imo the most important position) because all I can see is a complete and utter dog's dinner of it from Chairman to coach. 9 still worries me. Golden boy stays playing and O'Neil leaves could be a horrible scenario. For me Smithies will never be a quality loose forward. Needs bulking up and primed for Prop forward. He certainly has the attitude for it. Also, since when did a great player become (without time in office) a great coach. What experience at top level does Lockers and Tommy have? Isn't Lockers our defence coach? Well that's not working out too well this season is it? Finally, if Powell (please) retires, where do you think he will end up? Yep, on the coaching staff. God help us then.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

9- Sorted as we know
13 - Smithies

I agree with this.
Also Peet with being a rookie coach with a very weak, ex players coaching team, has left him in a bad position.
We looked different when briers was here
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Good points raised here but to me the ongoing weakness of the team highlights the spine issues.

Our pack isn't now and hasn't been for a few years good enough or big enough.

The benchmark over the last few seasons are Saints who have 4 decent to good props, size in the 2nd row and at loose. They make easy metres allowing there two scooting hookers to make more easy metres and then their spine can play.

Our, smaller mobile forwards need a bench packed with replacement forwards to keep us in the game and that limits flexibility and hampers bringing on young players.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

9- Sorted as we know
13 - Smithies

The big issue is with 6. If they are working in it you could have fooled me. Current strategy if that is word is try someone else there other than Cust and hope it works.

It looks clueless and Peet doesn’t seem to know how to address the issue. Rocky was signed as a potential back up in this position but has disappeared. Wasn’t very good anyway when he did play there.

French isn’t a six but he’s being played there and it’s not working but as I have said elsewhere I fear they will go with that option next season as I don’t see any indication a new 6 is a recruitment priority.