Peet comments

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Karl Carpenter

Peet comments

Post by Karl Carpenter »

Wigan Warriors boss delivers mixed emotions following defeat.

“I thought there were times when we were quite good, our effort levels were good throughout but I felt we lacked a bit of intelligence at times,” said Peet.

What makes an experienced player who trains several times a week, on the training ground, video sessions, team talks etc, give away a penalty with seconds of the game remaining? That’s not “lacking a bit of intelligence”, that is total stupidity.
nathan_rugby

Re: Peet comments

Post by nathan_rugby »

Karl Carpenter wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:19 pm Wigan Warriors boss delivers mixed emotions following defeat.

“I thought there were times when we were quite good, our effort levels were good throughout but I felt we lacked a bit of intelligence at times,” said Peet.

What makes an experienced player who trains several times a week, on the training ground, video sessions, team talks etc, give away a penalty with seconds of the game remaining? That’s not “lacking a bit of intelligence”, that is total stupidity.
We have a severe lack of experience in the team and a lack of players who can grab the game by the scruff of the neck, lead by example or be a controlling game manager.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Farrell reviews Wakefield loss

Captain Liam Farrell gave his thoughts following Wigan’s 27-26 loss at Wakefield.

Farrell: “We look forward to being back at the DW in a tough game against Warrington and take what we need to out of this.”

See the full interview on Wigan TV HERE.

Liam Farrell gave his summary as Wigan fell to golden point defeat at the Be Well Support Stadium on Friday night.

Speaking at full time, Farrell said: “It was a typical Wakefield performance. They were gutsy, there was loads of effort there but I thought we also had effort. We turned up with a desire to win but the things that let us down tonight were game smarts, game management – being better in those areas, especially at the back end of the game.”

He added: “We scored plenty of points there tonight, we should have been better defensively so not to let us leak 26-points – it’s one game we probably should have won.”

The Warriors return back to the DW Stadium next Friday to face Warrington Wolves: “We’ll review quickly, take out what we need to and I can’t imagine next week’s game is going to be the same as this one.

“Wakefield is a tough place to come of it’s own circumstances but we look forward to being back at the DW in a tough game against Warrington and take what we need to out of this.”

Farrell added: “It’s tight at the top, so we have a lot on our hands and these next few weeks are crucial for us.”

See full match reactions from Wakefield on Wigan TV. Wigan welcome Warrington for Heritage Round at the DW Stadium this Friday, with the Warriors Academy playing a curtain raiser against the Wolves, find out more HERE.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/07/ ... ield-loss/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Peet: Too inconsistent

Matt Peet spoke to the press following Wigan Warriors’ golden point defeat at Wakefield Trinity.

Peet: “Overall we were too inconsistent and lacked intelligence to see the game out.”

FT | Wakefield Trinity 27-26 Wigan Warriors.

Matt Peet spoke to the press following Wigan Warriors’ 27-26 golden point defeat against Wakefield Trinity at the Be Well Support Stadium.

Reflecting on the performance, Peet said: “There were times when we played to a decent standard, and showed flashes of what we are capable of. Overall we were too inconsistent and lacked intelligence to see the game out.”

Speaking on the positives, Peet added: “I thought Brad O’Neill was excellent, Morgan [Smithies] and Joe Shorrocks played big minutes and Junior [Nsemba] showed what he is capable of.”

On Wakefield Trinity, Peet said: “It would be unfair to Wakefield to say we threw it away as they earned their way back into it. They didn’t take us by surprise as energy-wise they’ve been there all year, and they’ve always played for their coach. They’re going to be a match for most teams.”

The Warriors lost Ethan Havard through injury in the opening five minutes, on which Peet said: “Ethan’s strained his hamstring but to what degree we don’t know. They are not normally a one week injury.”

Peet also provided an update on Jake Wardle’s absence: “He has been carrying a few bumps and bruises so we thought this would be a time to freshen him up as he has been playing through pain in the last couple weeks.”

Looking ahead to Warrington Wolves next Friday, Peet said: “Now it’s about weighing up the positives and the areas we need to improve. Equally it will be another intense game so we will have to be better and learn a bit – I’m confident the lads will do that.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/07/ ... onsistent/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

We all know we’re inconsistent what’s he going to do about it
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Warrington is going to be rough is Harvard is out.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Suzieb wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:54 am We all know we’re inconsistent what’s he going to do about it
I don’t know if we can:
- inconsistency in forwards with form and ability
- don’t know how to fit Field and French
- lack of experience / game management

Appreciate we can go on a run and win the big games like we saw over Easter and last year in Challenge cup but I just don’t have the confidence we could do it week in week out in the play offs
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

I would like to see Mr Peet get angry after these stupid losses . This Mr nice guy all the time doesn't cut it with me . I would like him to show some anger after losses like Leeds @ home and Catalan @ Magic. I am not saying he doesn't care but show some agitation to a least convince the fans he is going he is going to scatter a few for under performing . The famous quote "being savaged by a dead sheep" comes to mind lol

EW
2002 and EW is hooked
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:59 pm I would like to see Mr Peet get angry after these stupid losses . This Mr nice guy all the time doesn't cut it with me . I would like him to show some anger after losses like Leeds @ home and Catalan @ Magic. I am not saying he doesn't care but show some agitation to a least convince the fans he is going he is going to scatter a few for under performing . The famous quote "being savaged by a dead sheep" comes to mind lol

EW
Why does he need to get angry? Just to make fans feel better isn't a particularly good reason. We don't need a coach performing to the Sky cameras and journalists.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

EagleEyePie wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:10 pm
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:59 pm I would like to see Mr Peet get angry after these stupid losses . This Mr nice guy all the time doesn't cut it with me . I would like him to show some anger after losses like Leeds @ home and Catalan @ Magic. I am not saying he doesn't care but show some agitation to a least convince the fans he is going he is going to scatter a few for under performing . The famous quote "being savaged by a dead sheep" comes to mind lol

EW
Why does he need to get angry? Just to make fans feel better isn't a particularly good reason. We don't need a coach performing to the Sky cameras and journalists.
Absolutely agree. He isn't one for big gestures. No doubt he told the team what he thought in a calm measured way. That's the best way for a coach to be. Shouting and swearing at players after a loss is counter productive