What will Danson do for us?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

What will Danson do for us?

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I appreciate that this is part of the IL is leaving thread, but felt that it deserved a topic of its own, as the IL one rightly reflects on the past.

Some thoughts from me on what I hope to see:

- we now own our own home again, and can make it ours, choosing when to play, benefiting from the bars and hospitality, having our own signs, and memories…

- we can put in place a genuinely world class business structure, including top class talent identification, player retention, marketing, comms, fitness, medical support, a CEO with genuine experience of excellence, and all the other things which mark a best in class organisation;

- we can attract some genuine stars from the NRL, elsewhere in SL and RU (it’s been a while). As I understand it, we only have only filled one marquee spot, and of course we have never used the RU discount.

The future is very bright, it’s cherry and white.
Ipinwigan

Re: What will Danson do for us?

Post by Ipinwigan »

Hopefully he will fulfill all of the above and get us back to being the greatest club once again.
My only problem is that football is the bigger sport and earner, if you're in the Premier League, but it also has the potential to be a massive loss maker, as proven in the Latics last few seasons.
Big stick

Post by Big stick »

Having money doesn’t mean we should spend it on big players. We’ll end up like Warrington a joke club. Strengthen the academy bring in the best talent and offer decent and sensible wages. I think if we improve marketing then we can get crowds in with the likes of French and Fields. Bring in big players yes but only if they’re right. Improving the stadium is a big thing.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:56 am I appreciate that this is part of the IL is leaving thread, but felt that it deserved a topic of its own, as the IL one rightly reflects on the past.

- we now own our own home again, and can make it ours, choosing when to play, benefiting from the bars and hospitality, having our own signs, and memories…

- we can put in place a genuinely world class business structure, including top class talent identification, player retention, marketing, comms, fitness, medical support, a CEO with genuine experience of excellence, and all the other things which mark a best in class organisation;

- we can attract some genuine stars from the NRL, elsewhere in SL and RU (it’s been a while). As I understand it, we only have only filled one marquee spot, and of course we have never used the RU discount.

What has stopped us doing this under IL?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I am guessing that finite resources have help back IL, plus from what I have read, Danson’s business background is more top end sophisticated (if that makes sense). If you are building a business model with money no object - or at least with the resources to invest today for returns later - then you reach a different place from an owner who has to look to allocate finite resources.

This is my wishlist, of course, but, looking at, say Manchester City, they have invested a lot of their infinite resources into becoming world class in all of the areas I have mentioned.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Ipinwigan wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:24 pm Hopefully he will fulfill all of the above and get us back to being the greatest club once again.
My only problem is that football is the bigger sport and earner, if you're in the Premier League, but it also has the potential to be a massive loss maker, as proven in the Latics last few seasons.
Don't worry about the football side of things, it will be run like a business.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:57 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:56 am I appreciate that this is part of the IL is leaving thread, but felt that it deserved a topic of its own, as the IL one rightly reflects on the past.

What has stopped us doing this under IL?
Nothing it's just another aim at IL in a different form

I don't get this we can get genuine stars to put bums on seats.

If French isn't doing it then bring across a NRL star isn't. I know it's a hard pill to swallow but getting the best NRL player in the world at wigan would have no impact on attendance the people not showing up by choice would find another reason not to turn up.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I’ll say it again I don’t see a massive change happening,the stadium issue should be sorted asap from December to put both clubs on an equal footing as for the rest I don’t see Rads going<Brookes is a man who will keep the tiller steady I just don’t see a massive amount of coming or goings I really don’t.

Super league will never ever attract the brightest and best from the NRL there simply isn’t the money in the sport to do so.
Crossy210

Post by Crossy210 »

We don’t own the ground at all. It’s still a football club asset not a rugby one. I’d imagine it will be run differently with how it’s used funded etc but warriors don’t own any of it. Far as I’m aware
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

The usual, hopefully, -sanitation, the medicine, education, viticulture, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health.