Mago, Cust, Isa, Thornley

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
DaveO

Re: Mago, Cust, Isa, Thornley

Post by DaveO »

Soul Kitchen wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:57 am
DaveO wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:07 pm
Soul Kitchen wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:13 pm

He's crap, you're right, based on his last time with Wigan! 30 tries in 45 appearances was very poor?
As has been said, injury prone.
However I always make allowances for the myopic.
Myopic? I think it's who you have not been to Specsavers for some new glasses since his return.

I am sorry but what has how good he was last time got to do with it? He lest played for us in 2015 eight years ago. We have re-signed several players who second time around have looked nothing like as good as the player they were before they left the first time and Thornley is right up at the top of that list.

We should not as a general rule not be signing 31 year old backs anyway and Thornley shows why (the odd experienced prop forward maybe at that age but that is it).
Fortunately there's people better qualified than you or I to make decisions on players. So you keep bellyaching and thinking your comments make a difference and I'll just carry on being amused by them!👍
Don’t be so patronising. No one thinks their comments make a difference and this is a forum where people express their opinions on the players, team and club. That’s what it’s for. If you don’t like it because someone disagrees with you, time you jogged on.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:52 am
DaveO wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:07 pm
Soul Kitchen wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:13 pm

He's crap, you're right, based on his last time with Wigan! 30 tries in 45 appearances was very poor?
As has been said, injury prone.
However I always make allowances for the myopic.
Myopic? I think it's who you have not been to Specsavers for some new glasses since his return.

I am sorry but what has how good he was last time got to do with it? He lest played for us in 2015 eight years ago. We have re-signed several players who second time around have looked nothing like as good as the player they were before they left the first time and Thornley is right up at the top of that list.

We should not as a general rule not be signing 31 year old backs anyway and Thornley shows why (the odd experienced prop forward maybe at that age but that is it).
So I'm curious apart from injuries this year (which with the amount should definitely be a reason to move on) what has Thornley done wrong? Now I didn't see the Wakefield match so can't comment on that but everytime I've seen Thornley play he's done well.

We have lost literally every game he’s played in with the defence on his side of the pitch awful. He just can’t do it anymore and I don’t understand why if Peet wants to give someone a rest he doesn’t play one of the younger players there.

With KPP fit again I’d be surprised if Thornley plays again this season as KPP offers more at centre than Thornley and that gives him another alternate.
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

We need to ship them all out at the end of the season.
Isa is now picking up injuries too often, as yesterday's game proved.
He has been a great player for us, but no sentimentality is required.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

It says it all when the commentators say Mago slowly plodding to the line to take the ball up , for Fuuuks sake this is a Wembley semi final he is an insult to the shirt he wears with no pride , what a looser . Sooner he is gone the better along with Cust & Thornley who watches these players before we buy them , should have put Mago on a treadmill see how many minutes he lasts. :( :( :(
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Mago's lack of energy made it even more surprising that Hill wasn't used to replace him at some point. I know he's inexperienced and, with a healthy squad, he wouldn't have been in the 17 but he offers more than a tired Mago. We missed our best chance of silverware yesterday against a weakened HKR. I know we have our own injury problems but it's not as if we were playing a top four side. Sadly, I'm now already looking forward to next season in the hope that we may have a decent pack and be able to compete with the top teams. At least I can watch the final without having to worry about saints winning.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Ipinwigan wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:55 pm We need to ship them all out at the end of the season.
I agree we need to be ruthless. We did it during the golden age when the Club moved Hanley, Gregory etc. on and we should be doing it now. To be fair to Rads I think he is trying to do that with the backing of Mike Danson. I expect more new faces to come through the door for 2024. I am hoping at least another prop and a stand-off.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:14 pm
Ipinwigan wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:55 pm We need to ship them all out at the end of the season.
I agree we need to be ruthless. We did it during the golden age when the Club moved Hanley, Gregory etc. on and we should be doing it now. To be fair to Rads I think he is trying to do that with the backing of Mike Danson. I expect more new faces to come through the door for 2024. I am hoping at least another prop and a stand-off.
Can the coaching staff go as well, We need experience over Radlinski's mates
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:14 pm
At the very least a prop and stand off is not just needed but surely required for next season,this isn't a brilliant squad time to admit it really,there's a reason saints have won so much over the last few years it's because they've simply not had any real competition from any of the supposed "big clubs" and Wigan is right in that lot.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

southportcdm wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:10 pm Mago's lack of energy made it even more surprising that Hill wasn't used to replace him at some point. I know he's inexperienced and, with a healthy squad, he wouldn't have been in the 17 but he offers more than a tired Mago. We missed our best chance of silverware yesterday against a weakened HKR. I know we have our own injury problems but it's not as if we were playing a top four side. Sadly, I'm now already looking forward to next season in the hope that we may have a decent pack and be able to compete with the top teams. At least I can watch the final without having to worry about saints winning.
As it stands Singleton and KPP are out and Walters and Chan are in.

Whilst it may be an improvement, it’s not a massive one is it…

We have to make more signings of experienced forwards if we want to be successful.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Agreed nathan, I'm hoping for a prop and a backrower. I'm also assuming that we intend to persist with French at 6 because it looks as though we've signed Keighran to replace KIng. If we intend to play Keighran at 6 and put Bevan back on the wing we'll need to sign a centre too.