Mago, Cust, Isa, Thornley

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Caboosegg

Re: Mago, Cust, Isa, Thornley

Post by Caboosegg »

I will be dissapointed to see Isa go bit maybe it is time.

Although I still need to see that right side defence click without him picking up the slack.

It was a joy to watch him and TL flatten attacking players.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Soul Kitchen

Post by Soul Kitchen »

DaveO wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:01 pm
craigo wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:58 pm
bertina wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:20 am
St Pats might be interested in Thornley. (only might be)
oh. You are only having a laugh about Thornley, I hope !. Lad is a good player. Just injury prone.
He's crap! Never should have been re-signed. Hopefully the Danson takeover will see an end to the signing of players at the wrong end of their career like Thornley.

Surprised anyone is interested in Isa. He will be 35 next season and while he's been a good player for us he can't go on forever.
He's crap, you're right, based on his last time with Wigan! 30 tries in 45 appearances was very poor?
As has been said, injury prone.
However I always make allowances for the myopic.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Soul Kitchen wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:13 pm
craigo wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:58 pm oh. You are only having a laugh about Thornley, I hope !. Lad is a good player. Just injury prone.
He's crap! Never should have been re-signed. Hopefully the Danson takeover will see an end to the signing of players at the wrong end of their career like Thornley.

Surprised anyone is interested in Isa. He will be 35 next season and while he's been a good player for us he can't go on forever.
He's crap, you're right, based on his last time with Wigan! 30 tries in 45 appearances was very poor?
Myopic? I think it's who you have not been to Specsavers for some new glasses since his return.

I am sorry but what has how good he was last time got to do with it? He lest played for us in 2015 eight years ago. We have re-signed several players who second time around have looked nothing like as good as the player they were before they left the first time and Thornley is right up at the top of that list.

We should not as a general rule not be signing 31 year old backs anyway and Thornley shows why (the odd experienced prop forward maybe at that age but that is it).
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:07 pm

Myopic? I think it's who you have not been to Specsavers for some new glasses since his return.

I am sorry but what has how good he was last time got to do with it? He lest played for us in 2015 eight years ago. We have re-signed several players who second time around have looked nothing like as good as the player they were before they left the first time and Thornley is right up at the top of that list.

We should not as a general rule not be signing 31 year old backs anyway and Thornley shows why (the odd experienced prop forward maybe at that age but that is it).
So I'm curious apart from injuries this year (which with the amount should definitely be a reason to move on) what has Thornley done wrong? Now I didn't see the Wakefield match so can't comment on that but everytime I've seen Thornley play he's done well.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Soul Kitchen

Post by Soul Kitchen »

Fortunately there's people better qualified than you or I to make decisions on players. So you keep bellyaching and thinking your comments make a difference and I'll just carry on being amused by them!👍
Soul Kitchen

Post by Soul Kitchen »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:52 am

So I'm curious apart from injuries this year (which with the amount should definitely be a reason to move on) what has Thornley done wrong? Now I didn't see the Wakefield match so can't comment on that but everytime I've seen Thornley play he's done well.
He had a good career first time round with us but that was obviously not seen in certain quarters?
Sadly injuries have taken their toll and he certainly has been incapable of living up to expectations.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

What I cannot understand is why we let Halsall go to bring Thornley in?

Unless Halsall wanted out, wanted a lot more money or Peet just didn’t rate him?

I can understand utility / cover signings if their salaries are low and there isn’t direct cover in the academy or the academy cover is likely to be out on dual reg.

Thornley has just been a massive failure due to his injuries and ability to hit the ground running when called upon.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Big stick

Post by Big stick »

Halsall formed part of the deal with Huddersfield to bring in Wardle. I imagine they wanted him not Thornley
endoman

Post by endoman »

Re Halsall, notice that at Hudds, Bibby is playing centre and Halsall on the wing..
pedro

Post by pedro »

would be more than them to shift on, plenty of dead wood stealing a living