Wigan Squad

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Squad

Post by josie andrews »

Matt Peet has named his squad to face Leigh Leopards on Saturday 29th July 1pm Kick Off

1 Jai Field
2 Bevan French
3 Toby King
4 Jake Wardle
5 Liam Marshall
6 Cade Cust
7 Harry Smith
10 Liam Byrne
12 Liam Farrell
13 Morgan Smithies
15 Kaide Ellis
17 Kai Pearce Paul
20 Patrick Mago
21 Iain Thornley
22 Brad O’Neill
23 Abbas Miski
26 Harvie Hill
27 Junior Nsemba
31 Jacob Douglas
32 Ryan Hampshire
34 Tyler Dupree

https://twitter.com/wiganwarriorsrl/sta ... 88449?s=46
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
The Pearl1

Re: Wigan Squad

Post by The Pearl1 »

Nsemba and Dupree in for Shorrocks and Isa I’d say

Field
Miski
King
Wardle
Marshall
French
Smith
Byrne
O’Neill
Ellis
KPP
Farrell
Smithies

Mago
Dupree
Nsemba
Hill

Could see Cust sneaking onto the bench given we lose a bit of versatility with Shorrocks missing.
Crossy210

Post by Crossy210 »

Genuinely think we have to start with cust at 6 and put French back on the wing. It’s harsh on miski but we need a recognised half back pairing not just smith trying to do it all
jasonnlouise

Post by jasonnlouise »

Crossy210 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:49 pm Genuinely think we have to start with cust at 6 and put French back on the wing. It’s harsh on miski but we need a recognised half back pairing not just smith trying to do it all
Completely agree we need control from both half backs
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Sorry French needs to stay there to form a partnership not keep switching positions kept together they learn each others moves and passes its vital they form a half back partnership
Crossy210

Post by Crossy210 »

ddtftf wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:44 pm Sorry French needs to stay there to form a partnership not keep switching positions kept together they learn each others moves and passes its vital they form a half back partnership
I absolutely understand where you’re coming from but he isn’t a halfback.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Cust is leaving and I think the coaching staff will give Bevan at least until the end of this season to adapt to playing 6. I'm not certain he can do it but they know him better than me. He's such an elusive runner I'm not sure why he doesn't take the ball to the line more. Perhaps someone who's played or coached at a decent level can enlighten me?
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

southportcdm wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:26 pm Cust is leaving and I think the coaching staff will give Bevan at least until the end of this season to adapt to playing 6. I'm not certain he can do it but they know him better than me. He's such an elusive runner I'm not sure why he doesn't take the ball to the line more. Perhaps someone who's played or coached at a decent level can enlighten me?
What’s the point of him adapting to 6 when he won’t be playing there next season. 8 weeks he’s been there and it’s arguably getting worse. The level of sl this year is really low, it’s a big opportunity to get to OT. 3 home games coming up and we can put ourselves in the driving seat to get a home semi final.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Dreamteam wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:42 pm
southportcdm wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:26 pm Cust is leaving and I think the coaching staff will give Bevan at least until the end of this season to adapt to playing 6. I'm not certain he can do it but they know him better than me. He's such an elusive runner I'm not sure why he doesn't take the ball to the line more. Perhaps someone who's played or coached at a decent level can enlighten me?
What’s the point of him adapting to 6 when he won’t be playing there next season. 8 weeks he’s been there and it’s arguably getting worse. The level of sl this year is really low, it’s a big opportunity to get to OT. 3 home games coming up and we can put ourselves in the driving seat to get a home semi final.
Yes play to win, not play to until bevan learns stand off.Cruel is sport at times , but its a great opportunity with everyone looking beatable.By the way we all want bevan to be great at SO.Ide gladly love him to succeed and prove me wrong
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

It’s because when French gets it at second receiver there isn’t much space in front of him.

The reason for this is:

1 - in general there’s not as much space at 6 than 1

2 - we don’t create very much space as an attacking unit

With regards to #2:

We seemingly do a lot of catch and pass without taking the ball to the line and having optional runners.

The problem with this is that defences don’t need to bunch towards the ball and can very easily slide across.

In simple terms, creating space for Bevan at 6 would require
- our 9 stepping out and having a forward charging towards the A and B defenders (first two away from POTB).
- Our 7 then getting the ball, taking it to the line and having another forward charging towards the defence.
- Our 6 round the back awaiting for the ball off the 7 who may get the ball in space or will do the same to release the 1

Whilst the try Leigh scored against Saints in the cup isn’t an example of giving the 6 space, it shows examples of some of the above and it’s something we rarely do.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."