2024 line up

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
fozzieskem

Re: 2024 line up

Post by fozzieskem »

CobraCraig wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:16 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:15 pm
NICKYKISS wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:00 pm

Possibly but when you think Shorrocks is younger, cheaper and probably better (as a 13), I think he’s the man who’ll back up Smithies. I just can’t see how Powell stays tbh. I don’t think we sign Leeming without knowing Powell is going elsewhere. I look across the league and a few clubs make sense (Leigh, Catalans, Salford and Huddersfield). You lose experience and that’s the main worry. I wouldn’t have been against keeping Isa on but his injury record this season has been a major worry.
It looks like the Giants may be signing another halfback from the NRL - Clunes. That would suggest that somebody needs to be offloaded. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Theo Fages go to Catalans however, young Russell would be a good pick up for someone.

Fages to Catalans is a done deal apparently.
It hasn't worked for him at Huddersfield has it he will go well at catalan
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Problem with Fages is he seems to constantly pick up niggles. Good player when fit though. Maybe being back in the French sun will work wonders for his injury problems. It seems to have done the trick for Tom Johnstone!
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

morley pie eater wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:37 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:53 pm Anyone got any idea on the average age of starting 17 forwards in Super League winning teams?

History shows us experience is vital in the forwards, especially props, but wondering what the data says?

A bit worried about our lack of experience.
Nathan, you got me started on a fairly long, tedious look at data.
For me the age/experience thing is about props rather than forwards in general. I thought I'd look at the age of props in teams that got to the Grand Final.

• All GFs from 2000 to 2022 inclusive.
• Starting props only, as it's too time-consuming to check subs and who played where.
• I've ignored who won and lost, because that's down to the whole squad. §
• None of this has any statistical significance, ie it doesn't prove anything. It's just for my curiosity.

~The average age of starting props, '00-'22 was 28.16 years.

~ The majority of props in GFs (62%) were between 24 and 31.

~ The youngest was Jamie Peacock, age 20 in the 2007 GF. Ryan Bailey was 21 in the 2004 GF.

~ The youngest paring was Danny Ward, age 24, and Ryan Bailey, 21, in 2004. Leeds won.

~ Oldest were 35: Darren Britt ('02), Paul Anderson ('06), James Graham ('20), Matt Prior ('22). For the record, 3 of them were losers and 1 winner (but see § above.)

~ Fwiw, the teams with older props won 10 finals and lost 13.

On another note: Can you remember these props and who they played for?

Paul Wood, Brad Meyers, Jason Cayless, Ben Harrison, Darren Britt.
Interesting and great post.

Absolutely lacking in prop experience!
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I agree that the pack, although full of promise, does lack experience but hope that this doesn't result in us keeping players that won't give full value for money. I'm thinking specifically about Cooper and Isa. Mike is the trickiest one because I don't know how successfully they can predict his recovery. If we knew that he'd recover fully, let's say by the second third of the season, he's well worth keeping. Willie has been great value this past few years but it looks like his body is starting to let him down. One of his greatest strengths is his robustness and he seems to have lost that now. I'm sure both players provide experience and show the younger players what's involved in being a good professional but if they can't contribute significantly on the field, we can't afford to carry them. Perhaps some form of forward coaching/support role would be more suitable? We can't afford the few experienced players in the squad to be unavailable for long periods when we have such a young set of forwards. We look much better on paper for next season but imagine what we'd do if Faz and Willie were injured before Mike had recovered.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

We should get Matthew Lodge in on a decent deal and take James Tamou for one season, plenty of experience with those two
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

medlocke wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:12 pm We should get Matthew Lodge in on a decent deal and take James Tamou for one season, plenty of experience with those two
They are both rubbish and Matt Lodge has torn his ACL.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

The Pearl1 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:56 pm
medlocke wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:12 pm We should get Matthew Lodge in on a decent deal and take James Tamou for one season, plenty of experience with those two
Tamou is rubbish? Really?
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
pedro

Post by pedro »

The Pearl1 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:56 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:53 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:16 pm
josie andrews wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:38 pm Warrington
Bradford
St Helens
Warrington
St Helens?
5/5 Josie. Brilliant!!

To be honest, it's miles better than I did. I'd forgotten Britt and Meyers existed, and only vaguely remember Cayless.

The years were

Wood '13
Meyers '05
Cayless '06 and '07
Harrison '12
Britt '02
I knew Wood, Cayless, Harrison & Britt straight away had to sit & stare at Meyers for for a while before I replied For Bradford.

I’ve had a headache since! And no googling either 😊
👋👋👋
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

southportcdm wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:40 am I agree that the pack, although full of promise, does lack experience but hope that this doesn't result in us keeping players that won't give full value for money. I'm thinking specifically about Cooper and Isa. Mike is the trickiest one because I don't know how successfully they can predict his recovery. If we knew that he'd recover fully, let's say by the second third of the season, he's well worth keeping. Willie has been great value this past few years but it looks like his body is starting to let him down. One of his greatest strengths is his robustness and he seems to have lost that now. I'm sure both players provide experience and show the younger players what's involved in being a good professional but if they can't contribute significantly on the field, we can't afford to carry them. Perhaps some form of forward coaching/support role would be more suitable? We can't afford the few experienced players in the squad to be unavailable for long periods when we have such a young set of forwards. We look much better on paper for next season but imagine what we'd do if Faz and Willie were injured before Mike had recovered.
The club doctor and coaching staff will be fully aware of Isa's and Cooper's injuries and chances of recovery. We are not.

Havard has missed a lot of time with injury this year, but we'd be mad to write him off. I don't see the difference with Isa and Cooper.

Personally I'm happy to leave it to those in the know. But if we end up with a pack of outstanding players with none over 25, I'd bet against us winning a Grand Final: "You don't win owt wi kids."
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐