2024 line up

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Big stick

Re: 2024 line up

Post by Big stick »

NICKYKISS wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:00 pm
Big stick wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:21 pm
NICKYKISS wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:09 am

We need at least one more experienced forward and to keep Cooper IMO for that reason. I just don’t see us having enough leadership and know how without sorting that out. It’s a real issue for this season as well and I’d look to get Powell back in the 17 for that reason but it needs addressing even more so for 2024. Nobody has an issue with Powell the player going but you do lose that experience and leadership and the same goes for Willie Isa.

It’s coming to the time now were guys like Smithies and Havard need to take a step up in terms of leadership but they need help around them.
Powell would be great to keep on as a replacement 13 but the money he’s on I doubt it probably makes no sense to do that
Possibly but when you think Shorrocks is younger, cheaper and probably better (as a 13), I think he’s the man who’ll back up Smithies. I just can’t see how Powell stays tbh. I don’t think we sign Leeming without knowing Powell is going elsewhere. I look across the league and a few clubs make sense (Leigh, Catalans, Salford and Huddersfield). You lose experience and that’s the main worry. I wouldn’t have been against keeping Isa on but his injury record this season has been a major worry.
If we’re loosing Isa, Powell, Mago and Cust we must still have money to spend. I’m that case two experienced NRL players one prop one back rower should finish the team off nicely
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/wi ... e-thompson

Could be a blessing in disguise…

(On love rugby league.com but can’t paste link)
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Or maybe I just did :lol:
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

NICKYKISS wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:09 am

We need at least one more experienced forward and to keep Cooper IMO for that reason. I just don’t see us having enough leadership and know how without sorting that out. It’s a real issue for this season as well and I’d look to get Powell back in the 17 for that reason but it needs addressing even more so for 2024. Nobody has an issue with Powell the player going but you do lose that experience and leadership and the same goes for Willie Isa.

It’s coming to the time now were guys like Smithies and Havard need to take a step up in terms of leadership but they need help around them.
Powell would be great to keep on as a replacement 13 but the money he’s on I doubt it probably makes no sense to do that
Possibly but when you think Shorrocks is younger, cheaper and probably better (as a 13), I think he’s the man who’ll back up Smithies. I just can’t see how Powell stays tbh. I don’t think we sign Leeming without knowing Powell is going elsewhere. I look across the league and a few clubs make sense (Leigh, Catalans, Salford and Huddersfield). You lose experience and that’s the main worry. I wouldn’t have been against keeping Isa on but his injury record this season has been a major worry.
It looks like the Giants may be signing another halfback from the NRL - Clunes. That would suggest that somebody needs to be offloaded. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Theo Fages go to Catalans however, young Russell would be a good pick up for someone.
Charriots Offiah

Big stick wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:26 pm

If we’re loosing Isa, Powell, Mago and Cust we must still have money to spend. I’m that case two experienced NRL players one prop one back rower should finish the team off nicely
Rumour is that Thornley will also leave.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Big stick wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:26 pm

Ideal world, that’s exactly what we get. I think an experienced prop and back rower would make the team look extremely well rounded. If guys like Thornley and Cust are off from the backline, it will naturally push somebody like Eckersley or Logan Astley up a spot and I think they need that now, with the stages they’re coming up to in their careers.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

morley pie eater wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:16 pm
josie andrews wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:38 pm Warrington
Bradford
St Helens
Warrington
St Helens?
5/5 Josie. Brilliant!!

To be honest, it's miles better than I did. I'd forgotten Britt and Meyers existed, and only vaguely remember Cayless.

The years were

Wood '13
Meyers '05
Cayless '06 and '07
Harrison '12
Britt '02
I knew Wood, Cayless, Harrison & Britt straight away had to sit & stare at Meyers for for a while before I replied For Bradford.

I’ve had a headache since! And no googling either 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
CobraCraig

Post by CobraCraig »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:15 pm

It looks like the Giants may be signing another halfback from the NRL - Clunes. That would suggest that somebody needs to be offloaded. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Theo Fages go to Catalans however, young Russell would be a good pick up for someone.

Fages to Catalans is a done deal apparently.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I heard that as well
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Charriots Offiah

CobraCraig wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:16 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:15 pm

Fages to Catalans is a done deal apparently.
Thanks for the update I didn’t know that. I was simply putting two and two together.