2024 line up

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Bonnie Raithwaite 2

Re: 2024 line up

Post by Bonnie Raithwaite 2 »

Looks a strong team and the one obvious player to fill the stand off role, help with leadership and kick the goals …. Owen Farrell.

A switch to his hometown club after the Union World Cup would be a massive boost for RL, not just Wigan.

Yes I know I’m probably just dreaming but sometimes its good to dream!!
eaststandspy

Post by eaststandspy »

I've been thinking about this also, we all love to pick the team so here goes.

With what we have and all fit, my team

1 Field, 2 French, 3 Keighran, 4 Wardle, 5 Marshall, 6 A N Other, 7 Smith (C)
8 Havard, 9 O'Neill, 10 Cooper, 11 Walters, 12 Miski, 13 Smithies.
14 Leaming, 15 Dupree, 16 Ellis 17 Farrell
18 Hampshire, 19 Hill, 20 Nsemba, 21 Shorrocks.

I've just put my tin hat on ready for the response to Miski in the second row, but I think he has made more yards than anyone driving the ball in. He's hard to stop so may be worth a go in that position.

A good strong starting 13 with a very strong bench to step up the pace after the early grind. IMO.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

eaststandspy wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:04 pm I've been thinking about this also, we all love to pick the team so here goes.

I've just put my tin hat on ready for the response to Miski in the second row, but I think he has made more yards than anyone driving the ball in. He's hard to stop so may be worth a go in that position.

A good strong starting 13 with a very strong bench to step up the pace after the early grind. IMO.
Nowt wrong with that, have suggested Miski to 12 before also I reckon Cooper will retire at season end
Crossy210

Post by Crossy210 »

eaststandspy wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:04 pm I've been thinking about this also, we all love to pick the team so here goes.

It might be just me but I don’t think Hampshire should be anywhere near our 21 man squad. Waste of salary cap for me.
benjamaphone

Post by benjamaphone »

Crossy210 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:49 pm It might be just me but I don’t think Hampshire should be anywhere near our 21 man squad. Waste of salary cap for me.
Likewise - not a fan myself.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I’ve said the same about Miski playing second row but no way will he take the 12 shirt off Farrell unless Faz retires! Swap those two about with the shirt numbers as well.

Cooper wouldn’t be 10 for me though stick with Byrne he’s had to try & do a lot this year with bans & injuries to our props. I’d leave Coops at 14 & Ellis at 15 Dupree at16.

There isn’t a number 18 shirt! It’s in recognition of the fans.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

At present this is the squad for next year:

Fullbacks: Jai Field, Bevan French

Wingers: Liam Marshall, Abbas Miski, Jacob Douglas

Centres: Jake Wardle, Adam Keighran, Zach Eckersley, Alex Sutton?

Halbacks: Harry Smith, Logan Astley

Props: Kaide Ellis, Ethan Havard, Tyler Dupree, Liam Byrne, Sam Walters, Harvie Hill, Tiaki Chan, Harvey Makin

Hookers: Kruise Leeming, Brad O’Neil, Sam Powell, Tom Forber

Second Rows: Liam Farrell, Junior Nsemba

Locks: Morgan Smithies, Joe Shorrocks

The following players without a confirmed new deal:
Iain Thornley (Centre)
Cade Cust (Halves)
Ryan Hampshire (Halves)
Mike Cooper (Prop)
Patrick Mago (Prop)
Ramon Silva (Prop)
Willie Isa (Second Row)

I believe all except Willie Isa on that list have options for further years in their contract.

I noticed Hampshire had a 1 year deal with an option of 2 more but isn't listed among the players whose future is still to be determined, so do we assume he's been given the 2 year option?

Confirmed departures:
Toby King (Centre)
Kai Pearce-Paul (Second Row)

We've made some good signings but looking at the players currently confirmed for next season we're definitely weak in the back row and halves. The obvious position where we have more than enough cover is hooker, so we'll see what happens with Powell.
Last edited by EagleEyePie on Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

We need at least one experienced forward yet IMO. I haven’t fully ruled out King staying, there’s nothing confirmed and I believe a few rumours were going round the hospitality suites during the Wire game, stating all is not dead yet (a very loose rumour though) but I’m not confident. If we could manage that and play Keighran at 6, that would be ideal. We could then get by without Hampshire or Thornley as back up, as the versatility of guys like Keighran and French will help us.

In the forwards I think we need at least one more experienced back rower. I don’t see Walters as a back rower, I think his lateral movement would see him caught out but he looks class in the middle (starting at prop again tonight). Anyone writing Liam Farrell off are premature IMO. He isn’t at his best but his stats are still very special, which only highlights what a talent he is, when he can do that while not at his best.

I’d like to see the squad shaping up like-

Field
French King Wardle Marshall
Keighran Smith
Havard O’Neill Ellis
New SR Farrell Smithies

Bench
Dupree Walters Byrne Leeming

Squad
Miski Eckersley Sutton Douglas Astley
Hill Cooper Chan Shorrocks Nsemba Forber

Plus a few other young lads on the fringes (Makin, Wilson etc)

That would means exits for-

Hampshire Thornley Cust Mago Powell Isa KPP Silva.

That would leave us in great looking shape IMO.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Might take the Walters not playing back row comment back! Started at prop but been a menace in the second row, since moving there. I like how Leeds are using him, switching him between the two positions. Don’t see him as an 80 minute second rower.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

I can't think of many decent second row forwards that are available, unless there's someone from the NRL that may be released. I think most of the better Super League players are already under contract and despite the fee for Dupree I don't think we'll be throwing transfer fees around like crazy. I wonder if the club might decide to offer Isa another year. Not sure it's a great option but I think it's better than use signing no one else.
Last edited by EagleEyePie on Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.