2024 line up

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Brennox7

2024 line up

Post by Brennox7 »

Probably a bit early to start spouting about next years team but it makes for good reason. Just imagine…

Field
French
Keighran
Wardle
Marshall
??
Smith
Dupree
Leeming
Havard
Walters
Farrell
Smithies

Chan
Hill
O Neill
Ellis

Balanced squad. Beef and speed from the ruck in the pack.

Pace to burn with the backs!
southportcdm

Re: 2024 line up

Post by southportcdm »

Promising but bench looks a bit inexperienced if everybody fit. Swap one for Byrne or two for Byrne plus another, as yet unsigned, prop/backrower. I see you've left a space at 6 so are you assuming (like me) that Keighran has been signed primarily as a centre?
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Brennox7 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:12 pm Probably a bit early to start spouting about next years team but it makes for good reason. Just imagine…

Field
French
Keighran
Wardle
Marshall
??
Smith
Dupree
Leeming
Havard
Walters
Farrell
Smithies

Chan
Hill
O Neill
Ellis

Balanced squad. Beef and speed from the ruck in the pack.

Pace to burn with the backs!
won't be far wrong but how about a 21 man squad off:

Field
French
Eckersley
Wardle
Marshall
Keighran
Smith
Dupree
Leeming
Havard
Walters
Farrell
Smithies

Chan
Hill
O Neill
Ellis
Byrne
Forber
Nsemba
Hampshire
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

We still need a new stand off or centre (depending on where Keighran plays) and a recognised back row forward, as Walters hasn't played second row for a couple of years and he seems to have grown into a prop in that time.

If I'm not mistaken we already have 5 of 5 permitted overseas players, which means we can only sign 2 more players with UK, EU or Kolpak passports to take us up to the 7 'non-federation trained' players allowed. That will have an effect on which players we can target.
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

Farrell has been a great player but it’s time to phase him out of the starting 13. More time on the bench. We should be giving more game time to Nesemba between now and the end of the season so he can replace him next season.

Which would leave the question who would captain the team ?
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Graham1 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:56 am Farrell has been a great player but it’s time to phase him out of the starting 13. More time on the bench. We should be giving more game time to Nesemba between now and the end of the season so he can replace him next season.

Which would leave the question who would captain the team ?
It does appear that Farrell isn’t performing / having the same impact as we are used to and that’s absolutely fine. All good things come to an end.

I do think part of it though is we aren’t playing to his strengths. We aren’t creating the space outwide where we deliver those killer balls that so often result in breaks / half breaks.

In terms of captaining the side - we do have a severe lack of experience in the team and how often do captains get subbed off?

For me the next candidate would be Smithies. He plays a lot of minutes, he gets through enormous amounts of work and imo is absolutely captain material. There are obviously some brain fart moments and mouthing off and winding up opposition but I don’t mind that and it may decrease a bit with captaincy.

The issue is though it sometimes puts too much pressure on someone (which is why I don’t think we should put the burden on Smith).
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Big stick

Post by Big stick »

People are saying we have one more player incoming. IMO it should be either an Aussie experienced prop or back rower. I know we’ve been stupidly just sticking players in positions in the past and in most cases failing. However I think with the pack we’re building and giving French the time at 6 it will pay off. Keep Miski on the wing for his carries. 2024 i still think we’re lacking massively on experience, sounds like we will be missing Cooper for the first half of the season. If we can get for example a Kevin Proctor or JWH it will take a lot of the pressure from Faz. I think we’ll keep Mago, it was rumoured that he’d be going to Cas and they’ve signed other players. If we had an option for another year I’d take it up.
craigo

Post by craigo »

That will be the team that wins trophies. Put simply, Because of the new signings. Quality.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Big stick wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:33 am People are saying we have one more player incoming. IMO it should be either an Aussie experienced prop or back rower. I know we’ve been stupidly just sticking players in positions in the past and in most cases failing. However I think with the pack we’re building and giving French the time at 6 it will pay off. Keep Miski on the wing for his carries. 2024 i still think we’re lacking massively on experience, sounds like we will be missing Cooper for the first half of the season. If we can get for example a Kevin Proctor or JWH it will take a lot of the pressure from Faz. I think we’ll keep Mago, it was rumoured that he’d be going to Cas and they’ve signed other players. If we had an option for another year I’d take it up.
Mago and Cust won’t be at Wigan next season. Neither are good enough.
Big stick

Post by Big stick »

I agree Cust wont be here. The only prop we have been linked with is Thompson and it’s a big gamble bringing him in. I’d rather stick with Mago. Ideally Satae would have been a great replacement. Not sure if they are available but Tanginoa or atoni might be good to replace him with