Stand Off

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wes

Stand Off

Post by Wes »

What do people want from a stand off?

I know we play split halves but with Smith being an out and out 7 I think we should play tradition where he is constantly 1st receiver.

In that sense I think French could be moulded in to a traditional 6, I’d argue he’s half way there, defends well outside, picks his moments to try things, can score a try from nothing and can throw that cut out pass to create a try.

Also important to ask Smith who he wants to forge a partnership with and then to stick to it so it can improve.
nathan_rugby

Re: Stand Off

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wes wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:49 pm What do people want from a stand off?

I know we play split halves but with Smith being an out and out 7 I think we should play tradition where he is constantly 1st receiver.

In that sense I think French could be moulded in to a traditional 6, I’d argue he’s half way there, defends well outside, picks his moments to try things, can score a try from nothing and can throw that cut out pass to create a try.

Also important to ask Smith who he wants to forge a partnership with and then to stick to it so it can improve.
Do we really play split halves?

Smith receives the ball far more at first receiver than French…

Given French is a makeshift 6 we shouldn’t do split halves what so ever.

“What we want from a stand off” is partly irrelevant with our tactics of catch and pass, barely any decoy runners and never taking the ball to the line.

There’s a big tactics / coaching issue imo.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wes

Post by Wes »

What was the point of your post if answering the question is partly irrelevant?🤷
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wes wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:03 pm What was the point of your post if answering the question is partly irrelevant?🤷
Because rugby isn’t binary. There are lots of variables, factors, opinions etc.

Have we switched tactics to accomodation French? Or do we play the same regardless of who is at 6?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
bertina

Post by bertina »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:07 pm
Wes wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:03 pm What was the point of your post if answering the question is partly irrelevant?🤷
Because rugby isn’t binary. There are lots of variables, factors, opinions etc.

Have we switched tactics to accomodation French? Or do we play the same regardless of who is at 6?
I love Bevan French, but he is never a stand off in a million years.
Full back or winger.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Still no one answering the question🤦🤷

I’ll try again what do people want from a stand off?
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

To be the pivot between the backs and forwards and occasionally taking the line on
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

I think the standoff roles changed to them being another scrum half. Mostly with the emergence of split halves the full back as become the extra running link player as a 6 was. I can't see why we can't play Harry as a traditional scrum half and utilise both French and Jai outside him in that running 1/6 role. We would do with a comfortable ball playing forward to help with that extra pair of hands to create the space. Not many around but shows how valuable a Lockers, Andy Farrell type player would be, could Owen Farrel play that role it would be where I tried him if it ever happened.
I loved watching Brett Kenny and Wally Lewis in state of origin for me while both different they was what I would look for in a six... Though I think Kenny would now be a one in the modern game.
I still think Bevan can do the 6 role given time and other pieces of the jigsaw to help him and the team.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

The problem for me with French at 6 is that it is more of a structured role and French is more of an off the cuff type player, he thrives more on having the freedom to roam and step left and right than he does just looking for the pass or kick
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

WarriorWinger wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:02 am The problem for me with French at 6 is that it is more of a structured role and French is more of an off the cuff type player, he thrives more on having the freedom to roam and step left and right than he does just looking for the pass or kick
This 👏🏼👏🏼
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan