Smithies

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Re: Smithies

Post by nathan_rugby »

bertina wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:30 am
Wes wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:47 pm Smithies is a class act and he’s getting better and better he’s slowly turning into a traditional 13, his link up passes that he’s throwing when he’s at the line and committed players are starting to look Lockers esque, wonder if that’s down to coaching from Lockers? Genuine question for those in the know?
Don't think its a coincidence that his link up play, and passing the ball at the line has improved, seeing as we have the best at those skills for the past 20 years on the coaching team.
Whilst a great player Tommy L wasn’t the most creative half or game manager by any means so is that a reason we have looked a bit clueless at times?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

The biggest concern I had with Smithies early on was his temperament, but I pleased to say that along with other aspects that of his game, he has really matured and more often than not he is very controlled with his aggression.

Well done and keep going, I can see him taking on the captaincy at some point.
Last edited by Jonathon Kerr (JK) on Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Smithies work rate is exceptional, he really puts himself about and does the things that keep the team ticking. He reminds me a bit of a young bateman actually one of those players who is worth 6-12 points in effort alone because of how they put themselves about the ptich
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

My first thought of Smithies was he has bags of potential bug doesn’t seem to be coming on.
Yes he’s always been great defensively and works hard there’s no arguing that but I was worried about his attacking game. He never really passed and just seemed to do his hit ups but I thought he’s not big enough for a prop so he’s gonna have to go in the second row or at loose but with no passing game and link up play that position would be wasted, also his petulance and giving penalties away was quite bad.
But over time he’s improved all of his weaknesses and is a real important member of the team, credit to him.
He’s proved me wrong, which I’m to happy admit.