Can we finish top?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Can we finish top?

Post by morley pie eater »

I've been looking at the remaining fixtures to see if it's possible for us to finish top.

With 7 games to go, and Catalans 4 points ahead of us, it's not looking good. They're also more than 70 ahead of us on points difference, so effectively we'd need them to lose 3 out of 7 to have a chance - and we'd have to win all of ours!

Wigan;
HKR (H); Hull (H); Cats (A); Salford (H); Leeds (A); Cas (H); Leigh (A).

Catalans:
War (A); Leigh (H); Wigan (H); HKR (A); Wake (A): Leeds (H); Salford (A).

To do it, we would have to beat them in France. (What a game that should be!)
But can't see them losing at Wire, nor at Leigh the week after Wembley.

Finding 2 more banana skins for them looks nigh on impossible. Not being defeatist, but I think 2nd spot and a week off is the best we can hope for. We've looked good at times, and I'd back us to play well in the play-offs, but we haven't shown the week-in week-out consistency to suggest we can win 7 in a row from now.

Best bet for Matty Peet, may be to go for 2nd whilst keeping players fresh by some careful rotation.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Re: Can we finish top?

Post by Charriots Offiah »

No.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Cats 42-0 Salford.
No!
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Soul Kitchen

Post by Soul Kitchen »

morley pie eater wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:23 pm I've been looking at the remaining fixtures to see if it's possible for us to finish top.

With 7 games to go, and Catalans 4 points ahead of us, it's not looking good. They're also more than 70 ahead of us on points difference, so effectively we'd need them to lose 3 out of 7 to have a chance - and we'd have to win all of ours!

Wigan;
HKR (H); Hull (H); Cats (A); Salford (H); Leeds (A); Cas (H); Leigh (A).

Catalans:
War (A); Leigh (H); Wigan (H); HKR (A); Wake (A): Leeds (H); Salford (A).

To do it, we would have to beat them in France. (What a game that should be!)
But can't see them losing at Wire, nor at Leigh the week after Wembley.

Finding 2 more banana skins for them looks nigh on impossible. Not being defeatist, but I think 2nd spot and a week off is the best we can hope for. We've looked good at times, and I'd back us to play well in the play-offs, but we haven't shown the week-in week-out consistency to suggest we can win 7 in a row from now.

Best bet for Matty Peet, may be to go for 2nd whilst keeping players fresh by some careful rotation.
I'll take that now.
craigo

Post by craigo »

2nd
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Can't see Catalan slipping up now
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

I think the chances of Catalans slipping up against Wire have increased. They may have a kick up the backside now that Powell has gone. There's too much quality in that Warrington side not to have a response.

There are other games that could trip them up though. Wakefield are in good form at the moment and are deep in a relegation battle, but I think that will also make our game against Cas much harder too.
The game against Leeds will be tricky for them too, on account of Catalans being a good team and therefore one of few teams Leeds will play well against.

The problem is I don't think we'll go unbeaten through our games. Definitely unlikely that we'll finish top.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Well we will have to beat them and im certain we can
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Ok. Another way to look at it is this:
We look secure in the top 4. We're 4 points clear of Hull KR and Warrington in 5th and 6th. Make that 6 if we beat Rovers this weekend and Wire lose to Cats, both of which are odds on.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

As long as we finish in the top 3 spots, I think we’ve a decent chance of making Old Trafford. Any lower and you might need to go and win a semi final at Catalans and while it’s not impossible, I’d rather go anywhere else, even St Helens, especially now they’re minus their two best props.

Ideally we make the top 2 and get a home semi final.