George Williams

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
No straw damn us

Re: George Williams

Post by No straw damn us »

Flash wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:17 pm
No straw damn us wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:46 pm
ddtftf wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:04 pm The truth is that the NRL structured system suited his style of play but over here he never took the line on to draw defences and tended to just pass the ball on .
I've just looked at Williams try assists over here.
2017 - 1st
2018 - 5th
2019 - 3rd
2022 - 8th
2023 - 11th

He was leading the man of steel and Albert Goldthorpe tables by a big margin until his recent injury.
Which basically shows the weakness in the system. Standing out in that Wire team is not hard as practically everyone else is playing really poorly. A half who's 11th for try assists should not be leading any polls, apart from the poll for 2nd worst try assists in the comp!
How's he only got the 2nd worst number of assists? I wonder where he was in the standings before his injury?
He was the standout player in Superleague up to that injury.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

No straw damn us wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:07 pm
No straw damn us wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:46 pm

I've just looked at Williams try assists over here.
2017 - 1st
2018 - 5th
2019 - 3rd
2022 - 8th
2023 - 11th

He was leading the man of steel and Albert Goldthorpe tables by a big margin until his recent injury.
Which basically shows the weakness in the system. Standing out in that Wire team is not hard as practically everyone else is playing really poorly. A half who's 11th for try assists should not be leading any polls, apart from the poll for 2nd worst try assists in the comp!
How's he only got the 2nd worst number of assists? I wonder where he was in the standings before his injury?
There were plenty of standouts in that Wire team for the first seven rounds of this season.
Charriots Offiah

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Man of Steel? Invisible Man more like based on his last performances.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Mike wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:25 pm Man of Steel? Invisible Man more like based on his last performances.
I gather that you don’t like the lad Mike which is fair enough but to try and downplay his talent is just ridiculous.
Dave B

Post by Dave B »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:34 pm Man of Steel Leaderboard

https://www.superleague.co.uk/man-of-steel/leaderboard
Thats because he's a diamond in a team full of rocks. Not many other Dire players pick up the MOS points.
Charriots Offiah

Dave B wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:10 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:34 pm Man of Steel Leaderboard

https://www.superleague.co.uk/man-of-steel/leaderboard
Thats because he's a diamond in a team full of rocks. Not many other Dire players pick up the MOS points.
Players are not awarded points based on whether they have performed best for their team, they are awarded on a match by match basis. So in order to receive points he would have to be amongst the top three performers in that particular game. The way that Wire have performed for most of the season, and given the injury that George has just had, it is remarkable that the lad is top of the MoS table. It just goes to prove what a ‘diamond’ he must be.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:30 pm

There were plenty of standouts in that Wire team for the first seven rounds of this season.
The season isn't played over 7 games mate. He's been largely anonymous since. That's not being disrespectful as that would be the same for any half who's performances tend to be only as good as the team around him. Harry Smith has been outstanding at times and is my choice for player of the year but, when the team has played poorly, so has he.

My comments were about the MOS and how it's decided. In recent years we had Brodie Croft winning it when he was barely noticeable for two thirds of the season. Field was head and shoulders above last year but shares points with the likes of French etc. We had Paul McShane winning it. I'm not even going to comment further on that other than to say, if he's been the best player in the league in any season ever, I'll show my Arris in Market Street!

Well, you get the picture. Quoting someone leading the MOS rankings when there's so many variables that go into creating that situation is like saying Bevan French is the best winger in Superleague history because he scored the most ever tries in a game.

For the record, Williams is a quality player. Not sure I'd want him back at Wigan though for many of the reasons posted in this thread. If he were to come (I very much doubt he will) he'd have my full support though.
Charriots Offiah

Flash wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:06 pm

The season isn't played over 7 games mate. He's been largely anonymous since. That's not being disrespectful as that would be the same for any half who's performances tend to be only as good as the team around him. Harry Smith has been outstanding at times and is my choice for player of the year but, when the team has played poorly, so has he.

My comments were about the MOS and how it's decided. In recent years we had Brodie Croft winning it when he was barely noticeable for two thirds of the season. Field was head and shoulders above last year but shares points with the likes of French etc. We had Paul McShane winning it. I'm not even going to comment further on that other than to say, if he's been the best player in the league in any season ever, I'll show my Arris in Market Street!

Well, you get the picture. Quoting someone leading the MOS rankings when there's so many variables that go into creating that situation is like saying Bevan French is the best winger in Superleague history because he scored the most ever tries in a game.

For the record, Williams is a quality player. Not sure I'd want him back at Wigan though for many of the reasons posted in this thread. If he were to come (I very much doubt he will) he'd have my full support though.
I fully understand that mate. I am not defending the MoS set-up, personally I wouldn’t have it. I lost interest in it when Trent Barrett was robbed. What annoys me is that players who leave Wigan suddenly become poor players when the facts and anyone with a modicum of rugby league knowledge can see is not true. In my view, and I accept that others will disagree, if Williams was in our side we would be a far better team. He won’t come back to Wigan though that ship has sailed.

I constantly see it being quoted that he went to Wire for more money and that is true but there were a lot of other factors too. Wigan made a Horlicks of his return but that is an argument for another day. Every professional player will move for the money, the game is littered with them and good luck to them. Just because George did not return to Wigan doesn’t all of a sudden make him a bad player. Waney obviously thinks he is otherwise he would not be England captain.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:52 pm
Flash wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:06 pm

I fully understand that mate. I am not defending the MoS set-up, personally I wouldn’t have it. I lost interest in it when Trent Barrett was robbed. What annoys me is that players who leave Wigan suddenly become poor players when the facts and anyone with a modicum of rugby league knowledge can see is not true. In my view, and I accept that others will disagree, if Williams was in our side we would be a far better team. He won’t come back to Wigan though that ship has sailed.

I constantly see it being quoted that he went to Wire for more money and that is true but there were a lot of other factors too. Wigan made a Horlicks of his return but that is an argument for another day. Every professional player will move for the money, the game is littered with them and good luck to them. Just because George did not return to Wigan doesn’t all of a sudden make him a bad player. Waney obviously thinks he is otherwise he would not be England captain.
I thought he was over hyped at Wigan way before he left. He only had one move for a season and took him another 2 years to learn a 2nd move. I admit I was surprised how well he went in the NRL at first. However I don't really believe he's a difference maker. The kind of player that can win a game on his own. I prefer French and Field in that respect.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐