George Williams

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
pedro

Re: George Williams

Post by pedro »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:34 pm Man of Steel Leaderboard

https://www.superleague.co.uk/man-of-steel/leaderboard
that was months ago, its not been updated in ages
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Mike wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:14 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:52 pm
Flash wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:06 pm

The season isn't played over 7 games mate. He's been largely anonymous since. That's not being disrespectful as that would be the same for any half who's performances tend to be only as good as the team around him. Harry Smith has been outstanding at times and is my choice for player of the year but, when the team has played poorly, so has he.

My comments were about the MOS and how it's decided. In recent years we had Brodie Croft winning it when he was barely noticeable for two thirds of the season. Field was head and shoulders above last year but shares points with the likes of French etc. We had Paul McShane winning it. I'm not even going to comment further on that other than to say, if he's been the best player in the league in any season ever, I'll show my Arris in Market Street!

Well, you get the picture. Quoting someone leading the MOS rankings when there's so many variables that go into creating that situation is like saying Bevan French is the best winger in Superleague history because he scored the most ever tries in a game.

For the record, Williams is a quality player. Not sure I'd want him back at Wigan though for many of the reasons posted in this thread. If he were to come (I very much doubt he will) he'd have my full support though.
I fully understand that mate. I am not defending the MoS set-up, personally I wouldn’t have it. I lost interest in it when Trent Barrett was robbed. What annoys me is that players who leave Wigan suddenly become poor players when the facts and anyone with a modicum of rugby league knowledge can see is not true. In my view, and I accept that others will disagree, if Williams was in our side we would be a far better team. He won’t come back to Wigan though that ship has sailed.

I constantly see it being quoted that he went to Wire for more money and that is true but there were a lot of other factors too. Wigan made a Horlicks of his return but that is an argument for another day. Every professional player will move for the money, the game is littered with them and good luck to them. Just because George did not return to Wigan doesn’t all of a sudden make him a bad player. Waney obviously thinks he is otherwise he would not be England captain.
I thought he was over hyped at Wigan way before he left. He only had one move for a season and took him another 2 years to learn a 2nd move. I admit I was surprised how well he went in the NRL at first. However I don't really believe he's a difference maker. The kind of player that can win a game on his own. I prefer French and Field in that respect.
I will just have to disagree with you Mike as will Waney, Ricky Stewart and others.
Charriots Offiah

pedro wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:25 pm

Thanks Pedro. There must be a fiddle going on.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Could you elaborate on how Wigan made a mess of his return mate? Be interesting to hear what went on there.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:39 pm

It stops being made public after so many rounds!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:37 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:39 pm

It stops being made public after so many rounds!

Yes so nobody can see points being manipulated
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Flash wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:33 am Could you elaborate on how Wigan made a mess of his return mate? Be interesting to hear what went on there.
Not sure they did.

I heard on here that he got offered the biggest overall package we had ever offered a player…
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:24 am
Flash wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:33 am Could you elaborate on how Wigan made a mess of his return mate? Be interesting to hear what went on there.
Not sure they did.

I heard on here that he got offered the biggest overall package we had ever offered a player…
I'm with you nathan Wigan where played like a fiddle. Was never coming back to Wigan.
Charriots Offiah

Sorry I can’t mate I was told in confidence and, as some posters on here know, I never post what I am told in confidence.

All I will say is that don’t be fooled by the quote, ‘he got offered the biggest overall package we have ever offered to a player’. It depends on how you interpret the offer.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

One of the problems at Warrington with Williams is that he is on a lot more money than his teamates and if they do not give him any go forward to play off the back of he just looks like an ordinary player