RFL will be taken to court by ex players

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Wigan_forever1985

RFL will be taken to court by ex players

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023 ... gby-league

I don’t expect they will win however this could have huge consequences to rugby league

Insurance costs will be sky rocketed even with a victory for the RFL - the game will become even more sanitised as a result

I really fear this bunch of players could kill rugby league win or lose
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Re: RFL will be taken to court by ex players

Post by fozzieskem »

And this is why they're cracking down ok anything near the head rightly too bybthe way,the game hasn't gone soft,no biff etc but the world has become very litigious and the game is changing because of it
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

I find it particularly stupid when I see Nick Fozzard leading the charge despite his reputation when he played, wearing his 2 inch thick forearm gear. He still tweets videos of him scrapping and the such on twitter. He's copped a lot of flack on there. I genuinely don't think he's in the right mind at the moment
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:18 pm I find it particularly stupid when I see Nick Fozzard leading the charge despite his reputation when he played, wearing his 2 inch thick forearm gear. He still tweets videos of him scrapping and the such on twitter. He's copped a lot of flack on there. I genuinely don't think he's in the right mind at the moment
Isn't that the point?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Mike wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:32 pm
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:18 pm I find it particularly stupid when I see Nick Fozzard leading the charge despite his reputation when he played, wearing his 2 inch thick forearm gear. He still tweets videos of him scrapping and the such on twitter. He's copped a lot of flack on there. I genuinely don't think he's in the right mind at the moment
Isn't that the point?
i think he also changed him mind too about taking action, initially saying he wasnt going to take action, always posting loads of videos knocking people out etc, and then all of a sudden when the £s were discussed he was in

Scully has come out on twitter airing his views too, and insinuating that there needs to be a distinction between damage from playing RL and other recreational activities (dont need to read between the lines on the insinuation :) ). Whilst he hasnt named anyone, it has got some defensive reactions
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Well, like many things these days the only winners will be the lawyers.
I wonder if the evidence presented on social media can be used as a counter cliam against specific players (again, the lawyers win though).
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Hopefully the winners will be future generations of players who have improved health outcomes.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Mike wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:26 pm Hopefully the winners will be future generations of players who have improved health outcomes.
You have to be realistic though Mike playing a game like rugby league is never going to be good for your health
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Mike wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:26 pm Hopefully the winners will be future generations of players who have improved health outcomes.
Good point, I guess my issue is that now we do know more about the risks then action can be taken, my gripe is with retrospective legal actions.
pedro

Post by pedro »

it wont be, young players now are still getting knocked out etc, its a hard sport