Re-branding of the DW

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Re-branding of the DW

Post by josie andrews »

Yes, seen it at the stadium 😊 let’s hope the few idiots from both teams start to accept it’s a two club town!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:03 pm Yes, seen it at the stadium 😊 let’s hope the few idiots from both teams start to accept it’s a two club town!
Times they are a changing. It wouldn’t be possible if Mike Danson didn’t own the lot. Many said that there would be no changes until he officially acquired Wigan Warriors, clearly he already does.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:11 pm
josie andrews wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:03 pm Yes, seen it at the stadium 😊 let’s hope the few idiots from both teams start to accept it’s a two club town!
Times they are a changing. It wouldn’t be possible if Mike Danson didn’t own the lot. Many said that there would be no changes until he officially acquired Wigan Warriors, clearly he already does.
nit picking but:

The owner of the stadium putting joint branding up doesn't say he's already 100% owner. We have wigan RL pictures on the walls inside while only tenants.

Also
Hi IL as the owner of WAFC and major shareholders in WWRL I want do do X,Y,Z as the majority shareholder do you have an issue.

No great.

What would be nice is for it no longer to be called the DW. The company went bust so the only person benefitting is Dave Whelans ego.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Regardless of who owns Wigan Athletic, Wigan Warriors or both, to me, the reality is it still feels like Wigan Warriors playing at Wigan Athletic.

The motivation behind it is very laudable, but how much substance does a new poster hold in increasing diversity?

Suppose its a very individual thought process, but everything on matchday feels likes it Wigan Athletic, the article itself outlines the changes are in time for the new EFL season, presumably to try and retain and attract new fans for Athletic as they are now on a points reduction in League One.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:27 pm Regardless of who owns Wigan Athletic, Wigan Warriors or both, to me, the reality is it still feels like Wigan Warriors playing at Wigan Athletic.

The motivation behind it is very laudable, but how much substance does a new poster hold in increasing diversity?

Suppose its a very individual thought process, but everything on matchday feels likes it Wigan Athletic, the article itself outlines the changes are in time for the new EFL season, presumably to try and retain and attract new fans for Athletic as they are now on a points reduction in League One.
Surely he's not had any time to change that yet? I'd wait for a few weeks, maybe even to next season for anything major in the game day setup.

I would imagine selling the naming rights for the stadium would be one of the things on Danson's agenda, especially if the current naming doesn't generate any income. I think the Warriors brand may add value to that as we get more frequent exposure albeit in a a smaller market at the moment, comared to Latics infrequent TV appearances.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I'm sure Mr Danson can sell the naming rights to the stadium, it would be such a waste not to. How about this for a novel idea though - why not go for a big money (i.e bigger than normally found in Super League) sponsor of both teams? I don't think anybody else has done this but why not? Could even be a big company with a presence in Wigan like Heinz. If it worked it would also help to calm animosity between the two sets of fans.
boggart

Post by boggart »

The H J Heinz Stadium sounds good..............totally wicked in fact.
Charriots Offiah

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:17 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:11 pm
nit picking but:

The owner of the stadium putting joint branding up doesn't say he's already 100% owner. We have wigan RL pictures on the walls inside while only tenants.

Also
Hi IL as the owner of WAFC and major shareholders in WWRL I want do do X,Y,Z as the majority shareholder do you have an issue.

No great.

What would be nice is for it no longer to be called the DW. The company went bust so the only person benefitting is Dave Whelans ego.
You can nitpick all you like mate that’s your prerogative. As I have said before Mike Danson is in full control irrespective of what the records show at Company House. Mike coughed up for Dupree, he has taken the decision to rebrand and play a curtain raiser and there are many more positive changes to follow. We are lucky that our previous owner presented the reigns to an individual whole loves the club as much as he does. As for the ‘DW’ I don’t think that there is any doubt that there will be a name change.
Charriots Offiah

Mike wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:48 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:27 pm Regardless of who owns Wigan Athletic, Wigan Warriors or both, to me, the reality is it still feels like Wigan Warriors playing at Wigan Athletic.

Surely he's not had any time to change that yet? I'd wait for a few weeks, maybe even to next season for anything major in the game day setup.

I would imagine selling the naming rights for the stadium would be one of the things on Danson's agenda, especially if the current naming doesn't generate any income. I think the Warriors brand may add value to that as we get more frequent exposure albeit in a a smaller market at the moment, comared to Latics infrequent TV appearances.
Exactly Mike. Danson is a shrewd businessman and a big fan of the Warriors. Do people expect miracles? He showed his desire when he paid a transfer fee for Dupree.