Matty Peet praises Bevan French's adaptability and reflects on the time away from Robin Park Arena

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Matty Peet praises Bevan French's adaptability and reflects on the time away from Robin Park Arena

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors head coach Matty Peet says he’s impressed by the work Bevan French does on and off the field.

The 27-year-old has been settling into the role of stand-off in recent months, but has also played at fullback and on the wing this season.

Peet states French has grown in confidence within the group and is able to have an influence on the entire squad.

I’m very impressed with how Bevan has adapted his game,” he said.

He never fails to impress when you throw a new task at him, whether that’s playing wing or fullback- and now in the halves.

He’s established himself in our leadership group- he’s developed so much since the player I first met five years ago.

He’s an influential player in our team now, and playing in that stand-off role gives him even more influence on the team as a whole.

"He’s always been someone who has always been very much on the money when he’s spoke.

"He has a great understanding of the game and his teammates, but was probably a little bit quiet when he first came over.

"He’s grown in influence and maturity.

"The way he plays the game now is equally brilliant, but he has more of an understanding of the bigger picture these days.”

The Warriors spent some time away from Robin Park Arena last week, with their itinerary including a couple of days in the Lake District, ahead of this Friday’s game against Hull FC at the DW Stadium (K.O. 8pm).

"It was important to spend time together,” Peet added.

A couple of days without the rugby ball isn’t a bad thing- we enjoyed each other’s company.

"On the back of that we went to Sale Sharks and had a big days training, before giving the lads Thursday to Monday off.

"It was about striking the right balance between working hard and taking the opportunity to freshen the team up.

“The week off was a good chance to reset and refocus. Ultimately a lot of teams’ seasons will be defined in the next couple of months, and we’re one of them.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... na-4257607
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
mickali1

Re: Matty Peet praises Bevan French's adaptability and reflects on the time away from Robin Park Arena

Post by mickali1 »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:02 am Wigan Warriors head coach Matty Peet says he’s impressed by the work Bevan French does on and off the field.

The 27-year-old has been settling into the role of stand-off in recent months, but has also played at fullback and on the wing this season.

Peet states French has grown in confidence within the group and is able to have an influence on the entire squad.

I’m very impressed with how Bevan has adapted his game,” he said.

He never fails to impress when you throw a new task at him, whether that’s playing wing or fullback- and now in the halves.

He’s established himself in our leadership group- he’s developed so much since the player I first met five years ago.

He’s an influential player in our team now, and playing in that stand-off role gives him even more influence on the team as a whole.

"He’s always been someone who has always been very much on the money when he’s spoke.

"He has a great understanding of the game and his teammates, but was probably a little bit quiet when he first came over.

"He’s grown in influence and maturity.

"The way he plays the game now is equally brilliant, but he has more of an understanding of the bigger picture these days.”

The Warriors spent some time away from Robin Park Arena last week, with their itinerary including a couple of days in the Lake District, ahead of this Friday’s game against Hull FC at the DW Stadium (K.O. 8pm).

"It was important to spend time together,” Peet added.

A couple of days without the rugby ball isn’t a bad thing- we enjoyed each other’s company.

"On the back of that we went to Sale Sharks and had a big days training, before giving the lads Thursday to Monday off.

"It was about striking the right balance between working hard and taking the opportunity to freshen the team up.

“The week off was a good chance to reset and refocus. Ultimately a lot of teams’ seasons will be defined in the next couple of months, and we’re one of them.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... na-4257607
Possible future captain? Faz as club captain, Bev as match day captain?
josie andrews

Re: Matty Peet praises Bevan French's adaptability and reflects on the time away from Robin Park Arena

Post by josie andrews »

mickali1 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:51 am
Said this before French as captain think he would be excellent, reads the game well & talks a lot on the field similar to Sam Tomkins. Smith & Smithies as vice captains (both been captains at academy level for us) 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:37 am
Said this before French as captain think he would be excellent, reads the game well & talks a lot on the field similar to Sam Tomkins. Smith & Smithies as vice captains (both been captains at academy level for us) 😊
Cant argue with that and hopefully we would see fazs form improve
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Firestarter wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:24 am
I wouldnt count on a dramatic turn around in Faz personally - i think age has caught up with him more so than a simple dip in form
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:54 am

I wouldnt count on a dramatic turn around in Faz personally - i think age has caught up with him more so than a simple dip in form
Yes hes been so good that this season seems average by his very high standards
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
craigo

Post by craigo »

Agree big time with that
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
Wigan_forever1985

Firestarter wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:57 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:54 am
Yes hes been so good that this season seems average by his very high standards
Exactly i think when you look at him play he isnt playing particularly badly its just we are used to him being exceptional and maybe that part of his career is now ending and he might struggle to play more than average which for him looks worse than say an ISA who may get praise for a similar workman performance
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wigan_forever1985

craigo wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:39 pm
Agree big time with that
Im not sure myself i think the comparison to Tomkins is kind to French. There is no doubt he is an exceptional player and he reads the game well from his point of view, but to coin a phrase he's more checkers to Tomkins chess.

Theres more to being a captain than talking, you need to be able to work the ref and be crafty. Tomkins as a player is one of the best we've seen in Superleague the way he adapted his game after he lost his blinding pace and he's always known how to control a game and work with the ref and his players.

Im not saying French couldnt be captain but for me i wouldnt burden him with it - let him play and just concentrate on his game
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Bevan French is no Sam Tomkins, but he is a very good player, and, I think, pleasingly, a better player now than when he first arrived at Wigan. The club stood by him royally in his hard times, and now I hope he stays at Wigan for years to come.