Wigan Warriors set to appeal star man’s ban

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors set to appeal star man’s ban

Post by josie andrews »

These two bans have been accepted but Wigan Warriors have elected to appeal their one match ban for Kaide Ellis for dangerous contact.

Ellis was one of three players charged for Grade B dangerous contact but was the only one banned perhaps due to his prior record.
https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/wigan-wa ... ban-81072/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wiganer Ted

Re: Wigan Warriors set to appeal star man’s ban

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Well done, hope the appeal is successful.
eaststandspy

Post by eaststandspy »

I've just watched the so called crusher tackle on WTV "absolute joke" there was nothing in it. If That is a one match ban then Tomkins should have had life in prison without appeal for a deliberate pre meditated act of violence.
This panel is not fit for purpose, get rid.
endoman

Post by endoman »

good to hear, the panel are shambolic.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

rightly so, and not before time if i'm being honest. Isa and Shorrocks have both been ridiculously banned this year and we've not appealed

its amazing how many Saints players were in the notes of the hearing, but because Saints have challenged the outcome twice, they let off all their players. I think all apart from Welsby have previous with the disciplinary, and Welsby is always let off for previous good behaviour, so never gets banned. Makinson with 2 late hits on the player is a prime example, virtually everyone has been banned for that this year, but he gets away with it was just a little bit late and a genuine attempt. Every attempt is genuine i'd argue, but they are late, and thus been getting bans. I was on twitter with some Saints fans over the weekend, and called out some of their players as they were commenting on Wigan v Cats and its a boring grubfest, Wigan Anti-Rugby and the wimbledon of rugby without the hardmen :) :). When i produced a little list of repeat offenders, but more to the point, called them out for not learning which is the most stupid part of it, they didnt like it at all. For me, get banned once for a late hit, thats fine, but when its 4 or 5 in a season, thats just plain stupidity, and the player wants his wages docking, not the club backing him and appealing the appeal of the appeal of the appeal (and so on)
Lazy J

Post by Lazy J »

Won the appeal, available for Friday

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/08/ ... HJrS3Ug0rQ
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Well done the club.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:35 pm Well done the club.
+1

the text of the press release is a bit odd though

"Wigan Warriors’ Kaide Ellis will be available for selection for Friday’s Betfred Super League match against Salford Red Devils after successfully challenging the Match Review Panel’s grading of dangerous contact with an opponent during last Saturday’s match at Catalans Dragons.

Ellis admitted the offence, but today’s tribunal downgraded the panel’s grading from B to A and changed the penalty from one match to a £250 fine."
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

widdenoldboy wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:22 pm
Wiganer Ted wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:35 pm Well done the club.
+1

the text of the press release is a bit odd though

"Wigan Warriors’ Kaide Ellis will be available for selection for Friday’s Betfred Super League match against Salford Red Devils after successfully challenging the Match Review Panel’s grading of dangerous contact with an opponent during last Saturday’s match at Catalans Dragons.

Ellis admitted the offence, but today’s tribunal downgraded the panel’s grading from B to A and changed the penalty from one match to a £250 fine."
In other words, ‘admit to doing something that you shouldn’t have done and we will let you off lightly as we can’t be seen to be getting it wrong. ‘ in my opinion there was no case to answer.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Well, it seems to be exactly that, doesn't it? Good that he will be available.