Cooper extends

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Cooper extends

Post by josie andrews »

Mike Cooper has signed a one-year extension to see him remain with the Club for the 2024

The 34-year-old has made 15 appearances since joining in 2022

“From the moment I signed, I’ve loved every single day here” says Cooper.

Mike Cooper has signed a one-year extension to see him remain with the Club for the 2024 season.

The prop forward suffered a serious knee injury in this year’s Good Friday Derby that required extensive surgery and subsequent rehabilitation.

The England international made seven appearances at the back end of the 2022 season, then eight appearances at the start of 2023 before sustaining the injury.

Matt Peet said: “When Mike got injured, he was in excellent form and we know he has more quality performances to give in a Wigan shirt – his reaction to such a bad injury has been exemplary.

“On an individual level, he has applied himself to the highest standard and is in outstanding physical shape. His leadership and commitment to the group have been outstanding and he is affecting our culture positively on a day-to-day basis.

“I look forward to continuing to work with Mike.”

On the extension, Mike Cooper said: “I’m over the moon to extend my stay for a further year at Wigan.

“From the moment I signed, I’ve loved every single day here. It’s an environment where we all continue to learn and grow, and to get the opportunity to work with this group of players and staff at this stage of my career is something I feel very fortunate to do.”

Mike Cooper is sponsored by MA Brickworks.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/09/ ... r-extends/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Cooper extends

Post by josie andrews »

Great news, very happy to retain Mike for his experience & to help our young props coming through 😊
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

He always was a class player but having here shows just how classy a player he is just a shame he got so badly injured but glad he's staying
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Was very sceptical when we first recruited Cooper. Delighted to be proven wrong, always worked extremely hard when playing and resigning for 12 months is very wise and obviously low risk :D
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

He's obviously a very bad apple and is stinking the place out - need to get rid ;-)
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

𝙀𝙓𝙏𝙀𝙉𝘿𝙀𝘿 𝙁𝙀𝘼𝙏𝙐𝙍𝙀

Following the announcement of his contract extension, we have followed @MikeCooper_18 through his recovery from injury. Watch now 👇

https://x.com/wiganwarriorsrl/status/17 ... 3wQUEE0zxA
WarriorRoss11

Post by WarriorRoss11 »

potentially looking at a pack next year consisting of

Havard
Leeming
Cooper
Walters
Farrell
Smithies

Byrne
Ellis
Dupree

very very good forward line that is and got Nsemba Chan and potentially Mago to add to that
O’Neill
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Five senior props confirmed are Cooper, Dupree, Harvard, Byrne and Ellis.

Chan plays prop I believe and we also have Hill so this must spell the end for Mago surely as I can't see us going into next season with him making it 6 senior props especially when there are younger players coming through.
pedro

Post by pedro »

WarriorRoss11 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:16 pm potentially looking at a pack next year consisting of

Havard
Leeming
Cooper
Walters
Farrell
Smithies

Byrne
Ellis
Dupree

very very good forward line that is and got Nsemba Chan and potentially Mago to add to that
O’Neill
awesome
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:17 pm 𝙀𝙓𝙏𝙀𝙉𝘿𝙀𝘿 𝙁𝙀𝘼𝙏𝙐𝙍𝙀

Following the announcement of his contract extension, we have followed @MikeCooper_18 through his recovery from injury. Watch now 👇

https://x.com/wiganwarriorsrl/status/17 ... 3wQUEE0zxA
Thanks, Josie, was about to post the Wigan TV link to this then realised it's not much use without a subscription :lol:
This looks to be the same footage and very good to see Cooper moving around the Gym so well.