Sam Powell

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
lucky 13

Re: Sam Powell

Post by lucky 13 »

Yes little bit of everything I do think like for like Wigan had the edge in quantity and quality, some maybe down to bad planning some to personal ambitions and some down money available not all was probably deemed good enough. The safety net of you can come back didn't work but I guess it was worth the try.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

lucky 13 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:09 pm Yes little bit of everything I do think like for like Wigan had the edge in quantity and quality, some maybe down to bad planning some to personal ambitions and some down money available not all was probably deemed good enough. The safety net of you can come back didn't work but I guess it was worth the try.
i think the safety net has now gone (hopefully) with Gildart not coming back (i know Williams chose Wire for money over us)

i've no issues per se if a player comes back, but it cant just be a blanket for every player to leave as it was for that particular generation. It has to be for the betterment of the team, and not just because it didnt quite work out

i'm one of those fans that wont knock a player with ambition, especially if they want to go to the NRL, but they need to perform week in week out in Wigans colours for me. Wigan is still the biggest name in RL (certainly over here and up there globally, but we cant compete with the NRL collectively). KPP has been an example of what i want to see this year. We knew he wanted to go, but he's turned up week in week out for us this year and performed. Its when players effectively down tools that i hate.

We seem to be building a squad capable of challenging for everything next season with the signings already made, and some good youngsters coming through too. The challenge is how we keep the core of that squad together, but also ensure that Cooper, Farrell, Isa are replaced, this coming season and the players are integrated into the starting 17 and ready for when the ones i've named retire
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

lucky 13 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:09 pm Yes little bit of everything I do think like for like Wigan had the edge in quantity and quality, some maybe down to bad planning some to personal ambitions and some down money available not all was probably deemed good enough. The safety net of you can come back didn't work but I guess it was worth the try.
The period when we seemed to have players leaving and the club trying to make out it was a compliment and also some sort of master plan that we had first refusal was one of the worst aspects of IL's tenure in charge.

Not only did it make it a risk free option to leave I am convinced the club was determined to re-sign any player who wanted to return simply to try and justify the policy. Instead of thinking about the squad in general and what was required the club seemed more interested in taking them back. If they wanted out of the NRL we gave them a route back regardless. That wasn't succession planning and at the same time we also had players playing on too long. The club just wasn't very proactive and seemed driven by events as in who wanted out or who suddenly wanted to come back.

If Powell is to be let go it will be the first time in a long time the club will be proactive and release a player who gets a regular slot in the 1st 17 with the intent of improving that position in the squad for the better.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

I think it happened with Bibby to a degree as we didn't try to hard to keep him maybe Partington and we could say Singleton for Dupree. I agree the let them go get them back game plan didn't work and probably made a 50/50 decision easier and risk free.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Only just seen this as I don't often follow rumours.

I did type a long reply to some of the comments, but thought "Why bother?"

I wish Sam good luck if he does move on, and thank him for his contribution to our successes all his efforts for the team over the past few years.

Caboose is spot on.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

McShane is now rumoured to be going back to Leeds so I guess this pours cold water on Powell to Leeds?
outback wiganer

Post by outback wiganer »

Just read this on my Google news. Never posted a link before so hope it works.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/rugb ... 4-28044916
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

outback wiganer wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:29 am Just read this on my Google news. Never posted a link before so hope it works.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/rugb ... 4-28044916
It worked, well done 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan