Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

Just analysing 2024 squad and it seems we’re stacked across the positions.

Props - Havard, Dupree, Cooper, Ellis, Mago, Byrne, Hill, Chan

Back rowers - Farrell, Nsemba, Walters, Isa

Loose - Smithies, Ellis, Shorrocks

For me all of these could start. Going to be some disappointed players come game day!

Good in some ways I suppose, but 9 props and 4 second rowers?
Big Steve

Re: 2024

Post by Big Steve »

Hill and Chan aren't going to be starting or regular props next season. i suspect Chan may well cover in 2nd row.

Cooper not fit for the start of the season .

As we know - we will get injuries.

Looks like pretty good depth - possibly a little thin in 2nd row but backup available in the props I guess.
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

Shorrocks also isn't getting a start or a bench spot unless injuries
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Big Steve wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:52 am Shorrocks also isn't getting a start or a bench spot unless injuries
The thing with Shorrocks is he is very versatile and can do things other forwards we have can't do (although Smithies has stepped up his link game).
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

If our luck (or lack if it) with injuries this season is anything to go by we are not over staffed in the forwards. Ellis will probably get banned every other week for daring to tackle an opposition player as well. ;)
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

We are also very light in the threequarters and halves if we get injuries.Not sure whats going on with thornley and hampshire but I would like one more signing.Is matautia on the quota at wire?
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I also like broadbent at cas and im sure wakey will have a few players going at seasons end
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Big Steve wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:52 am Shorrocks also isn't getting a start or a bench spot unless injuries
When is his contract up?

I get his versatility but he cannot get into the 17 in any position when we have a full squad.

Far too lightweight to be a top SL forward.

Ellis has covered 13
Smithies has covered prop and played second row.

What more versatility do we need?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

And at hooker we have ONeill, Leeming, and either Forber or Powell depending on what happens with Sam (and rumours he may be going to Leeds) so plenty cover there also.

Agreed we maybe a little light in backs now! Especially in the halves as there are interchangeable positions with centre wing & full back with the likes of Eckersley\Isa for centre or French to wing/full back if needed…

Let’s hope Harry stays fit for next season.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

No word about Rocky for next season? I'd be happy if we kept him now that he's fully fit but I can't imagine that he'll settle for such a back seat role next time around. I assume Thornley will move on and we'll use Eckersley and Douglas(?) as cover for the centres/wing.