Luke Thompson

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
pedro

Re: Luke Thompson

Post by pedro »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:52 am
josie andrews wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:53 am
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:24 am As long as he isn't marquee and no one else is going anywhere I'm pretty happy. On his day a top player but we have plenty of others around if he doesn't find form or fitness. I do worry he could be another George Burgess although he has played the last 4 for Canterbury. He's played only around 35 or so games kver the last 3 seasons
Me too 😊
It would be naïve to think that he wouldn't be a marquee player. The benefit is that only £100k will count against the cap.
3rd marquee? has to be fed trained doesnt it?
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:27 am
Jonathon Kerr (JK) wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:14 am Moley on X announcing he is going to sign with us.

https://x.com/9_moley/status/1706151669 ... ubmDR8-lXA
Moley gets a hell of a lot wrong
He does, but it is rare for 'no straw damn us' and 'ddtftf' to get it wrong.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

To be fair Wigan have done a lot to correct poor recruitment in the past and i think this would be a good signing. I get the concerns about injuries but lets be real - you only need the best players available consistently in the last month of the season and he could be the difference in a game.

Plus prop is always going to be a position that draws more injury as the nature of the role
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:55 am
Dan2266 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:00 am As I said, Wigan have been chasing him since Wane returned, he’s been the no1 target this whole time. Don't know how it effects the Farrell chase either salary cap wise, But thats been well and truly on the cards as well.

Theres been a contract offer on the table for a few months for Thompson that was never rejected.
Owen Farrell wouldn't count against the salary cap in year one and only 50% in year two. Mr Danson, if he so chooses could front load a deal.
Can I just ask, why would we want Owen Farrell, what position would/does he play?

If he’s so desperate to play for his hometown club, with the money he’s earned from union, he should do it for free 😉😉
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:08 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:00 am As I said, Wigan have been chasing him since Wane returned, he’s been the no1 target this whole time. Don't know how it effects the Farrell chase either salary cap wise, But thats been well and truly on the cards as well.

Theres been a contract offer on the table for a few months for Thompson that was never rejected.
Owen Farrell wouldn't count against the salary cap in year one and only 50% in year two. Mr Danson, if he so chooses could front load a deal.
Can I just ask, why would we want Owen Farrell, what position would/does he play?

If he’s so desperate to play for his hometown club, with the money he’s earned from union, he should do it for free 😉😉
It's funny that ppl think a 32 year old union player could play league at the highest level and develop into a top player in 2 months Owen Farrell would be a centre or loose forward for us. Being a good youth will not help him now.

We have 2 quality centers and Smithies at loose. He is a waste of money. Not cap wise would be free but for the owner

Made up if Thompson comes. We are looking very good next season. I think we have over achieved this season. But Thompson and Dupree and a recognised kicker makes us favourites next season
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

thegimble wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:22 pm

It's funny that ppl think a 32 year old union player could play league at the highest level and develop into a top player in 2 months Owen Farrell would be a centre or loose forward for us. Being a good youth will not help him now.

We have 2 quality centers and Smithies at loose. He is a waste of money. Not cap wise would be free but for the owner

Made up if Thompson comes. We are looking very good next season. I think we have over achieved this season. But Thompson and Dupree and a recognised kicker makes us favourites next season
I agree however i think it would be good for the game (admittedly at our expense) as i would draw RU fans and/or neutrals to watch how he goes on and you have an opportunity then if you can convert a small % of them into League fans all the better
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:33 pm

I agree however i think it would be good for the game (admittedly at our expense) as i would draw RU fans and/or neutrals to watch how he goes on and you have an opportunity then if you can convert a small % of them into League fans all the better
I wouldn’t bet on that!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:17 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:33 pm

I wouldn’t bet on that!
He would be a bums on seats sort of signing that Maurice used to make. It's not just sport, it's business. If we could get him it would be great for the game and would somewhat make up for the Edwards farce.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

My thoughts entirely regarding Farrell he is like it or not in the twilight of his union career and to make the switch you need a couple of years at least it smacks of a Warrington type signing,bought to sell shirts rather than win things.

As for Thompson any player who seems to have significant concussion as he seems to have should be left well enough alone.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

I agree with Josie the Farrell train has left the station he is passed his best and is not guaranteed to slot in to RFL anyway. It would be a waste of money & doubt he would put bums on seats to be honest , leave him were he chose to be in his better years .