Smithies to canberra

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Smithies to canberra

Post by Mike »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:45 am
No straw damn us wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:24 am Smithies will go, and Wigan will have his replacement lined up.
Just hope it’s not Owen Farrell!!
I hope it is!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
bertina

Post by bertina »

No straw damn us wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:24 am Smithies will go, and Wigan will have his replacement lined up.
+1
bertina

Post by bertina »

Mike wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:11 pm
I hope it is!
Don’t get that Mike. A thirty odd year old that hasn’t played RL for 20 years. ???
Definitely not for me.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

bertina wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:03 pm

I hope it is!
Don’t get that Mike. A thirty odd year old that hasn’t played RL for 20 years. ???
Definitely not for me.
It's about the statement that the game is back for me. The coverage would be positive and the game can build on that. Signing England RUs top try scorer can't be ignored nationally, and that the league we need to play in.

Don't really care how he goes on the field. He's a good rugby player and that would be enough.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
doc

Post by doc »

Mike wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:29 pm
bertina wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:03 pm

I hope it is!
Definitely not for me.
It's about the statement that the game is back for me. The coverage would be positive and the game can build on that. Signing England RUs top try scorer can't be ignored nationally, and that the league we need to play in.

Don't really care how he goes on the field. He's a good rugby player and that would be enough.
You are Mike Danson. I claim my prize :D
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:21 pm I pulled Morgan to one side this afternoon & gave him the third degree about all the Canberra rumours.

I told him I best not put Smithies 13 on the new shirt then you bugger off to Canberra! 😂

He insisted it was rumours. So I said they better bloody be cos your not too big for a crack round the the ear hole 😂
This confirms he’s gone
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

The Pearl1 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:03 pm
josie andrews wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:21 pm I pulled Morgan to one side this afternoon & gave him the third degree about all the Canberra rumours.

I told him I best not put Smithies 13 on the new shirt then you bugger off to Canberra! 😂

He insisted it was rumours. So I said they better bloody be cos your not too big for a crack round the the ear hole 😂
This confirms he’s gone
I think so too, I didn’t say it before on here but did to someone in a pm, because when I said the highlighted bit above he asked when do the new shirts come out??
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Think he could thrive in the NRL.
Think the high intensity will bring the best out of him.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Morgan would be a loss as he's a very good player and getting better.

As for his replacement. Either Ellis or Thompson could start at loose with the other starting prop. That still leaves props Cooper, Havard, Byrne, Mago, Dupree, Hill, Chan and Walters. Though I like many think Walters will replace KPP in the 2nd row. Without Walters that still leaves eight to play prop.

If Owen Farrell did arrive then I'd expect him to wear the 13 shirt as his father did for so many years. Smithies leaving would create that vacancy.

We shall see
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I've been really pleased with the signings for next season but if we do lose Morgan and nobody else comes in you could argue that we'll not be much stronger than we are now:

Keighran for KIng, Thompson for Smithies, Walters for KPP and Leeming for Powell. Although we all have our own ideas about each player you could argue the toss on all of those pairs about which is the better player. The only extra signing would be 'project' Chan. Hopefully Nsemba, Hill, Eckersley etc will all progress but it's not a given that they will. I'm a great fan of Owen Farrell but don't see what he could offer us other than media coverage. This season even his kicking hasn't been up to it's usual standard.