Luke Thompson

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mouse13

Luke Thompson

Post by Mouse13 »

Just been announced on a 4 year deal.

Wigan Warriors are delighted to announce that Luke Thompson will join the Club on a four-year deal from 2024.
The 28-year old will make the move from Canterbury Bulldogs for whom he made 42 appearances since leaving St Helens in 2020.

Thompson won two Super League Grand Finals with St Helens in 2014 and 2019, and was the Harry Sunderland Trophy winner in the latter. He was also named in the Super League Dream Team in 2018 and 2019.

He has made seven appearances for England, including featuring in the Rugby League World Cup 2021 last year. He also made three appearances for Great Britain on the 2019 Lions tour.

Warriors Head Coach, Matt Peet said: “Luke is an outstanding acquisition for the club. He is a quality front-rower and brings a wealth of experience.

“We look forward to welcoming him and his family to the club.”

On signing, Luke Thompson said: “I can’t wait to be back playing in the Super League with crowds up and the squad strong.

“It’s a really exciting time to be joining Wigan. They’re playing great rugby and I’m looking forward to being a part of it.”
Adlington ARLFC 1988-1992
Adlington Rangers ARLFC 1992-2009
Chorley Panthers ARLFC 2009-2011
josie andrews

Re: Luke Thompson

Post by josie andrews »

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Super duper signing, are we at the start of a new Dynasty
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

Who is out the door then? Surely we must be letting some go?

Leeming Walters Dupree Thompson Chan Keighran in

King Singleton KPP Cust Thornley Powell out

Hell of a swing with the cap.

Fantastic news though. Wow what a side we will have next season!!
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Excellent signing, hopefully it all goes to plan. Certainly gives us many options in the front row for next season and we clearly have a blend of both youth and experience. Cant be accused of being 'light' next season too.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

My concern is, could it be another George Burgess? Remember him? He came to great acclaim on big money and played around 200 minutes at a guess.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Like pulling teeth this announcement we all know it was going to happen but just seemed to be being put off for some weird reason.

Anyway if it comes off it's a hell of signing the club has made if not we'll not go down that road hopefully.

Now this cleary lad from down under any chance of a swap deal for ISA?😆
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

morley pie eater wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:02 pm My concern is, could it be another George Burgess? Remember him? He came to great acclaim on big money and played around 200 minutes at a guess.
And for a 198 of those moments he was dreadfully unfit
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Not really impressed. We talk about culture but bring in a guy who had a paddy that sl players where asked to take a temp cut (not that I agree with the cut)

I hope I'm wrong but I'm worried it's bringing in a bad egg.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Mouse13

Post by Mouse13 »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:09 pm Not really impressed. We talk about culture but bring in a guy who had a paddy that sl players where asked to take a temp cut (not that I agree with the cut)

I hope I'm wrong but I'm worried it's bringing in a bad egg.
You would hope they have done due diligence on his medical and personality. Peet and Rads frequently mention that players need to fit the clubs ethos.
Adlington ARLFC 1988-1992
Adlington Rangers ARLFC 1992-2009
Chorley Panthers ARLFC 2009-2011