Harry Smith

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Brennox7

Harry Smith

Post by Brennox7 »

Apparently on the radar of NRL clubs

https://www.zerotackle.com/super-league ... ar-163457/
Caboosegg

Re: Harry Smith

Post by Caboosegg »

Hope not but it again is the issues with Agents. I understand why they are needed but there constant push to get players to the NRL so they get big fees Is a uneeded drain.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

Harry holds this team together, we need to be looking at extending his deal beyond next year.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Bloody agents,should naff off.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

They say in that article that Harry has one more year on his deal.
If that's the case then I'd expect the club to already be in advanced talks about a new contract.
It mentions a few NRL clubs are interested but doesn't name any.
NRL or not the club do need to get Harry to re-sign a new deal. Perhaps this is where we use the Marquee rule about club trained players only counting £50k on the salary cap.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I don't have any reason for saying this other than my 'gut feeling' but I think Harry is the type of player (like Faz and Lockers) who'd be happy to spend his career at Wigan so long as we show him that we value him. I think he wants to be a 'Wigan great' and he can do that over the next few seasons.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Very good scrum half but doesn’t possess the size needed or have the speed to hack it over there.

We need to look after him and keep him a 1 club man.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Wes wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:13 pm Very good scrum half but doesn’t possess the size needed or have the speed to hack it over there.

Do you need size to be a scrum half? It's would be a shame if there aren't any positions left where physical size is counted for more than skill. Smith doesn't look that small to me either.

However, let's keep him here and away from Aus. Let's keep the SL style of more interesting, attacking rugby where skill and speed can shine. Leave the Aussies and Saints to their dull, attritional game where only size and consistency counts. He'll more than do for me.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Wes wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:13 pm Very good scrum half but doesn’t possess the size needed or have the speed to hack it over there.

I personally don’t think he’s good enough for NRL.
He doesn’t do enough taking on the line for me.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Barney841 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:34 pm

I personally don’t think he’s good enough for NRL.
He doesn’t do enough taking on the line for me.
Did you even watch the game yesterday? Granted I've not watched it back from being at the game yet, but from memory he didn't only take it to the line but made several breaks or half breaks resulting in quick play the balls getting us on the front foot