Harry Smith

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Blackpool_Pie

Re: Harry Smith

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Wigan Warriors are delighted to announce that halfback Harry Smith has signed a new four-year deal with the Club, which will see him contracted until the end of the 2027 season.
Smith, who turns 24 before the start of the new season, featured heavily in England’s recent 3-0 Series win over Tonga and picked up the prestigious ‘Man of the Series’ award. He also featured in every game in Wigan’s 2023 title-winning campaign, making his 100th appearance for the Club in the Round 27 game at Leigh where he helped Wigan secure the League Leaders’ Shield.

The former Halton Farnworth Hornets junior joined Wigan’s Scholarship system as a 14-year-old. In the 10 years since then, he captained the U19s side winning three Academy Grand Finals, 2018 Under 19s Player of the Year and the 2022 Young Player of the Year.

He made a try-scoring debut for Wigan’s first team in 2019 in a 46-12 win over Catalans Dragons at the DW Stadium and in 2022 debuted for England from the bench in a World Cup warm-up win over Fiji.

Smith played a vital role in Wigan’s 2022 Challenge Cup Final success at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, most notably with his late grubber kick to set up Liam Marshall’s match-winning try.

On his new deal, Harry Smith said: “I’m really pleased to get the new deal sorted.

“Last year’s achievements have given me a real appetite for more. We are building something really special on and off the field. The new signings are a clear indication of that and I want to be a part of it.”

Smith added: “I’d like to thank Matty and all the coaches and of course my family and girlfriend for their continued support.”

Warriors Head Coach, Matt Peet, said: “We are delighted that Harry will be at the club for at least four more years. His development on and off the field has been outstanding and is a credit to his hard work and dedication.

“Harry is a player and a person we feel we can build around and the length of the contract shows his commitment to succeed at Wigan.”

Harry Smith is sponsored by Bluesky Plumbing.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/12/ ... -new-deal/