Harry Smith

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
morley pie eater

Re: Harry Smith

Post by morley pie eater »

fozzieskem wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:25 am
morley pie eater wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:03 pm
Wigan_ITK wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:41 pm Very much doubt he’d be looking to move on at the minute, I saw him up at my nieces football match a few weeks back and he’d not long bought a house in the area with his girl friend he had a puppy with him - hardly sign of someone not wanting to settle down locally.

Could definitely see him having a crack on the NRL but he's only 22/23 so surely he’d be thinking another 3/4 years at the warriors, continue to develop and then give it a go.
He's 24 in January. Not sure what relevance his age has, less so the puppy. 😊

Seriously, I think that there are players like Lockers, who maybe value their life outside RL and wouldn't move for money or the challenge of the NRL. Others may prioritise being the best or making the most of a short career.

I have no idea where Harry Smith stands on this spectrum, but rate him very highly and wish him the best whatever he decides. For years it has appeared to me that Yorkshire has had more of the game-managing type of halves than Lancashire does (Sneyd when he was at Hull and Gale at Cas for example). Harry is the best we've had in the Super League era, in my humble opinion.
I agree with you Morley, trouble is players such as Locker and Faz are becoming very much the exception rather than the rule though it galls me to say I'm sure at some point the NRL will come and Wigan will lose Smith.

Just hope I'm wrong
If Harry does go, I hope it's for 2025 rather than now. Two reasons : we get another season with him at his best, and it gives us a year for succession planning.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Hattster

Post by Hattster »

Doesn't all this Harry Smith rumour feel a little bit staged?
We fail to sign Owen Farrell, so to save face and to stop the fans being disgruntled Wigan come up with the plan that Harry has been targeted by the NRL. But on the 1st Dec we announce that he has signed an extended deal with Wigan and turned down the chance of a stint in AUS. Thus getting the fans back onside, completely forgetting about the Owen Farrell saga and have everyone marching into 2024 on a high.
You never know ;)
Flash

Post by Flash »

Nice thought but I'm afraid not unfortunately.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Hattster wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:12 pm Doesn't all this Harry Smith rumour feel a little bit staged?
We fail to sign Owen Farrell, so to save face and to stop the fans being disgruntled Wigan come up with the plan that Harry has been targeted by the NRL. But on the 1st Dec we announce that he has signed an extended deal with Wigan and turned down the chance of a stint in AUS. Thus getting the fans back onside, completely forgetting about the Owen Farrell saga and have everyone marching into 2024 on a high.
You never know ;)
The Farrell rumour bemused me frankly and as for the wider fan base who really thought he would come?
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

For me though the signing of Farrell was very much real even if it's not happening I will be chuffed to bits if Smith signs and we don't get anyone else. I really do believe he's worth whatever it takes to keep as with him steering us around we could have a real decent next few years.
I would use whatever is in reserve cap wise to shuffle around and stick him on marquee if needed. Hope he stays gutting to lose players to the NRL especially when you have only just started to see their full potential being realized.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stanfax

Post by Stanfax »

Hattster wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:12 pm Doesn't all this Harry Smith rumour feel a little bit staged?
You never know ;)
Hattster, whatever your current job, you've missed your vocation. You should be in politics!
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

Good player Smith. To be fair I’d be more worried about the NRL poaching Wardle. Just watching a 2023 recap and he’s all over it. Tries, breaks and assists! Hope smith doesn’t leave but I’d be gutted if clubs come sniffing around Jake. One hell of a player and he’s only 24
Bobby-WRL

Post by Bobby-WRL »

We are lucky with Jake . He has no interest in the NRL.
Wigan_ITK

Post by Wigan_ITK »

You never know ;)
Do you happen to know this weeks lottery numbers? :lol:
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

4 year contract