Sky versus ch 4

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Sky versus ch 4

Post by Mike »

moto748 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:11 pm C4 surely paid 'something', even if it was just to Sky. Or should Sky hand over their footage to C4 for free? I can't believe they did that.
I think it was part of the contract we negotiated for a right to have some free to air coverage.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Ipinwigan wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:47 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:55 pm When channel 4 pay for the sport I'll be more impressed sky stump up and keep the sport afloat let's not forget that.
I agree that Sky do allow the game to just about keep it's nose above the water, but they still treat it like a second class sport.
Pay as little as possible and not advertise it very well, it's not included in their latest "Greatest Show on Earth" adverts.
It appears to be treated as a filler, when nothing else more important to them, is on.
That’s because it is.

Viewing figures, attendances, sponsors all say so.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Ipinwigan wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:47 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:55 pm When channel 4 pay for the sport I'll be more impressed sky stump up and keep the sport afloat let's not forget that.
I agree that Sky do allow the game to just about keep it's nose above the water, but they still treat it like a second class sport.
Pay as little as possible and not advertise it very well, it's not included in their latest "Greatest Show on Earth" adverts.
It appears to be treated as a filler, when nothing else more important to them, is on.
But sky still pay to show the sport in regards to the TV deal the days of mega money TV deals are for everyone bar the top tier football one,as for the sport itself it's a minority sport sadly I find the best sport in the world but to most out of the m62 corridor it's a minority sport.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

moto748 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:11 pm C4 surely paid 'something', even if it was just to Sky. Or should Sky hand over their footage to C4 for free? I can't believe they did that.
As Mike says the TV deal brokered allowed free to air and C4 being cheap but their hand off I notice they're not so quick at renewing now they're expected to pay.

It's a great deal isn't it😆
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:12 pm
lucky 13 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:38 pm Wells is good on the touch screen with players I wish they did more of that in the build up.
I like Wells' analysis on tv however the man himself offscreen is a right miserable get whenever I've seen him
He does come from Castleford so there is some excuse there. :lol: :lol:
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

ian.birchall wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:36 am
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:12 pm
lucky 13 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:38 pm Wells is good on the touch screen with players I wish they did more of that in the build up.
I like Wells' analysis on tv however the man himself offscreen is a right miserable get whenever I've seen him
He does come from Castleford so there is some excuse there. :lol: :lol:
True 😂😂
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Channel 4 records lowest viewing figures since start of Super League coverage with semi-final clash between Wigan Warriors & Hull KR

CHANNEL 4 has recorded its lowest viewing figures since Super League coverage began back in 2022 with the Super League semi-final clash between Wigan Warriors and Hull KR.

The Channel 4 cameras have given rugby league fans another outlet from which to watch their beloved sport, with the coverage beginning at the start of the year when St Helens travelled to Australia to take on the Penrith Panthers in the World Club Challenge before ending in last weekend’s fixture between Wigan and Rovers.

However, if they wished to build on the 226,000 average viewership of that Saints-Penrith game, they will have been mightily disappointed with an average of just 105,000 tuning in on Saturday afternoon with a peak of 186,000, League Express can reveal.

With less than 2 per cent of the audience share, it is the lowest viewership for Channel 4 since they began broadcasting at the start of the 2022 Super League season.

However, with Channel 4 also competing with Sky Sports as well as the fact that the game was actually a runaway thrashing for Wigan and thus less competitive, it still brought in over six-figures in terms of audience.

The terrestrial broadcaster is still locked in talks with the sport about potentially covering more games in 2024 and beyond following Sky Sports’ new deal with rugby league earlier in the year.

https://www.totalrl.com/channel-4-recor ... d-hull-kr/
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Maybe they should have let the game be played on Friday evening instead of insisting it be played on Saturday, probably had other sports to contend with viewing figures especially a RU World Cup!
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Nothing to do with it also being shown on sky
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

Firestarter wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:27 am Nothing to do with it also being shown on sky
Exactly, if it's going to be dual broadcast, then you would expect those with Sky to automatically tune in to the sky coverage , I chose C4 purposely for the commentry but I suspect many will just habitualy tune in to sky as normal, that's if they knew it was being dual broadcast at all.