Liam Farrell and leadership

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Liam Farrell and leadership

Post by Charriots Offiah »

morley pie eater wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:11 pm I guess I've long been a fan of the "unsung hero". It may stem from when my lad was playing 2nd row for Churwell under-11s. He wasn't flashy or specially fast, but he was a decent tackler. I got him to watch Ian Potter when we watched games (more regularly then as there were plenty on Saturday and Sunday afternoons).

Willie Isa is one of them. I can picture him with blood all over his face, and carrying on like the Black Knight in Monty Python: "It's only a flesh wound. Come back you coward, and fight like a man!"

I noticed when he came on in the semi, that he was immediately calling other defenders into position, pointing where they should be. And always leading the line in defence. Sure, he misses one occasionally, but his commitment must be infectious, and he clobbers a lot more than he misses.
Willie’s tackle on Taukeiaho was textbook stuff, he dumped a man weighing 108kg like has was a halfback.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

He probably had the slowest start I’ve seen him have to a season and you couldn’t help wonder if the captaincy was weighing heavy on his shoulders but he’s put that firmly to bed. He’s lead the team superbly well in recent months, especially since that cup semi defeat. He’s looked more comfortable in challenging the team, challenging the ref and his own form has got better and better. He’s just an immense player and the players couldn’t do anything but respect him and follow his example.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

NICKYKISS wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:00 pm He probably had the slowest start I’ve seen him have to a season and you couldn’t help wonder if the captaincy was weighing heavy on his shoulders but he’s put that firmly to bed. He’s lead the team superbly well in recent months, especially since that cup semi defeat. He’s looked more comfortable in challenging the team, challenging the ref and his own form has got better and better. He’s just an immense player and the players couldn’t do anything but respect him and follow his example.
Think a lot of us thought the same, myself included in that.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:02 pm
NICKYKISS wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:00 pm He probably had the slowest start I’ve seen him have to a season and you couldn’t help wonder if the captaincy was weighing heavy on his shoulders but he’s put that firmly to bed. He’s lead the team superbly well in recent months, especially since that cup semi defeat. He’s looked more comfortable in challenging the team, challenging the ref and his own form has got better and better. He’s just an immense player and the players couldn’t do anything but respect him and follow his example.
Think a lot of us thought the same, myself included in that.
Myself as well Josie,I think most felt that yes the captaincy seemed to be getting to him,my god he came right on the night though.