Morgan Smithies set for NRL move as Wigan Warriors forward heads down under

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Morgan Smithies set for NRL move as Wigan Warriors forward heads down under

Post by Caboosegg »

Dreamteam wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:27 pm
Mike wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:19 pm
Dreamteam wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:08 pm

100%, Brad’s just done a full season of playing 9 basically on his own and has been outstanding. He’s much better with ball in hand and carries it better as well. Defensively he’s up there with smithies and he’s also younger. Pretty sure he won’t ditch us for the nrl while under contract as well.
Really. He's had a few stinkers. I was glad we have the steadying influence of Powell back at the business end of the season. O'Neill could be a good hooker, we'll see over the next few years.
I’m struggling to remember one stinker he had. Definitely not in any of the big games. I can do a never ending list of powells bad games in the last few years tho
His defence was very suspect earlier in the season when we had no old heads in the middle organising it.

O'Neil is nowhere near Smithies and he shouldn't be they don't play the same position. I'd rather see Powell at 13 than move O'Neil and lose what he adds at hooker.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Firstly I've always rated Smithies. I love his work rate and attitude, he will be a big loss.

Had he moved at the end of his contract and not during, I would have had no qualms whatsoever. Him moving mid contract leaves a bit of a bad taste in the mouth, but on balance I still thank him for his efforts and wish him good luck.

As for Farrell, he is obviously a very good player, and will bring a lot to the team if he comes. However, he will have to adapt very quickly (and at a relatively "old" age) as the game has moved on a lot since he last played it.

Does he have the talent to play at 13- unquestionably. Does he have the fitness/desire and time?- we will see.

(maybe!)
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

deleted. Promissory 2 s's hope Flash didn't spot it. He's got a degree in English tha' nose
Last edited by archiekeith on Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

archiekeith wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:45 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:11 pm Agree with the earlier post if every play only played their contract length then Wigan wouldnt have any transfer fee's which is a great way to recoup money invested in development and put it toward new players

We dont know the situation Smithies could have told Rads et al im off in 2 years - the club get him to sign for 5 on the agreement he can look after 2 and they can claim a big transfer its risky but a lot of clubs use contract length to protect loss of an asset for free - Salford and croft is a great example
agree with the posters comments I agree with the rationale of WF '85. Contract seem to be a"prmissory note " giving the player a greater sense of security whist he club retains a cash in value
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:22 am

Really. He's had a few stinkers. I was glad we have the steadying influence of Powell back at the business end of the season. O'Neill could be a good hooker, we'll see over the next few years.
I’m struggling to remember one stinker he had. Definitely not in any of the big games. I can do a never ending list of powells bad games in the last few years tho
His defence was very suspect earlier in the season when we had no old heads in the middle organising it.

O'Neil is nowhere near Smithies and he shouldn't be they don't play the same position. I'd rather see Powell at 13 than move O'Neil and lose what he adds at hooker.
O'Neill played loose forward as a junior.
buttmonkey2

Post by buttmonkey2 »

After Sam Powell's recent comments that he'd like to continue playing for a team closer than those in Yorkshire, I'm thinking a possible move to either Leigh or Salford is likely once his testimonial year is complete

He's the Richard Whiting of Wigan now, too slow to be a quality back and too small to be a quality (non-hooking) forward
Back by demand.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

If smithies is definitely going i would rather get rid of powell and bring in a thirteen.Not sure who atm but obviously partington is an option.Not really sure about anyone else and im 50/50 on the farrell rumour
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Charriots Offiah

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:22 am

His stats are not too shabby.

https://www.superleague.co.uk/player/1314/brad-oneill

and, compared with Morgan his percentage of missed tackles is lower!

https://www.superleague.co.uk/player/87 ... n-smithies
Charriots Offiah

Firestarter wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:00 am If smithies is definitely going i would rather get rid of powell and bring in a thirteen.Not sure who atm but obviously partington is an option.Not really sure about anyone else and im 50/50 on the farrell rumour
Let's see if we can get Nicholson back from Wire.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:32 pm
Firestarter wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:00 am If smithies is definitely going i would rather get rid of powell and bring in a thirteen.Not sure who atm but obviously partington is an option.Not really sure about anyone else and im 50/50 on the farrell rumour
Let's see if we can get Nicholson back from Wire.
that would be a good call or even McDonald off leeds.Is the nicholson thing a rumour?
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE