Shorrocks

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
MrAlex

Shorrocks

Post by MrAlex »

Gerrumonside

Re: Shorrocks

Post by Gerrumonside »

That would make things interesting if he left as we’d definitely be short at loose - are we still looking to recruit in the pack? Will this lead to Owen Farrell or another back row signing?
pedro

Post by pedro »

Ellis and Thompson were both 13's in the NRL
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

pedro wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:14 pm Ellis and Thompson were both 13's in the NRL
Ellis has been quietly great over the mid and back end of the season but I don't see him as a 13 tbh
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Shorrocks is one of those players who all clubs need in the squad, he's versatile and does a good job in multiple positions, however, I personally dont think he would get a 1st team place if everyone is fit. It could be his versatility at Wigan is his downfall, as the coaching team dont see him as a regular 2nd row / loose etc or they may just not see him as a regular starter, but happy that hes in the squad because of his versatility

If he does move on, it will be interesting to see how he goes. You cant knock a player who wants to play 1st team rugby on a regular basis, and by leaving Wigan he may get that, but equally he may not end up with the same medals that he could get at Wigan. So its down to his ambition. Is he happy to play at bit part at Wigan or be a regular elsewhere but perhaps not get the glory at the end of his career

If he does end up moving on, there will be no doubt we have players coming through the academy who will be chomping at the bit to get into the 1st team squad
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

If Shorrocks goes he will be a loss but I can imagine he will want to be somewhere where he can get a game week in week out.

He has been that hugely useful utility player that all winning sides need. Not the biggest not the quickest but a whole-hearted player who clearly loves playing for his home town club.

I was talking to another Wigan fan the other day who brought up his costly sending off in the Cup semi and the penalty he gave away in the defeat at Wakefield as an illustration of his faults, an understandable view but a) both those decisions were debatable and b) ignoring those two games, he was basically responsible for taking 4 points off St Helens last season which ultimately ensured we won the LLS. He scored the winning try against them whilst on loan at Leigh and then returned to us in time to make numerous crucial (at times clearly try saving) interventions whilst playing out of position at 6 on Good Friday.

A talented all round sportsman and a seemingly decent lad, if he does leave he goes with thanks and best wishes
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Shorrocks might want a move himself to get first team football but personally I would rather keep him than give Isa a another year.

I suppose Isa won't mind being paid for possibly not appearing very much whereas as I said Shorrocks might want to move for first team football.

It's a tough one for fringe players as they must know if they leave Wigan for a mid-table side their chances of winning trophies drops.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:11 pm Shorrocks might want a move himself to get first team football but personally I would rather keep him than give Isa a another year.

I suppose Isa won't mind being paid for possibly not appearing very much whereas as I said Shorrocks might want to move for first team football.

It's a tough one for fringe players as they must know if they leave Wigan for a mid-table side their chances of winning trophies drops.
To me and the proof was there at the end of the season ISA isn't a squad player he's one of the first names on the team sheet it seems to me,if he's fit he more less plays
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:15 pm
DaveO wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:11 pm Shorrocks might want a move himself to get first team football but personally I would rather keep him than give Isa a another year.

To me and the proof was there at the end of the season ISA isn't a squad player he's one of the first names on the team sheet it seems to me,if he's fit he more less plays
I am not sure he will make the first 17 next season given the signings. I am also not sure he's capable of playing a full season as a regular first teamer. He missed most of last season but was obviously quite fresh for the playoffs but at 36 I'd be surprised if he can last the pace of a full season.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Shorrocks has a lot of value in his adaptability

he reminds me a little of the Richard Whiting who used to be Hull FC's multitool and like DaveO said personally would like to see him stay over ISA

however he isnt going to be a first team player soon if at all so i guess its what whether he wants to play parts of a successful team or full time in a mid to low table team
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure