2024 Squad numbers

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

2024 Squad numbers

Post by josie andrews »

Just hope Kruise Leeming doesn’t take the number 9 shirt as I think he should earn his shirt number & it should be given to Brad O’Neill IMO

Plus, is this reporter unaware that the 18 shirt number is for the Wigan Warriors Fans?

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... rd-4393901
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
The Pearl1

Re: 2024 Squad numbers

Post by The Pearl1 »

Could do with renaming this 2024 squad numbers.

To be fair to the reporter, think he’s done it as a team line up rather than squad numbers hence the 18th player.

I agree I’d like O’Neill squad number 9

Havard and Byrne 8 and 10

Ellis 13.

Make the new players earn their starting numbers (like Miski has).
That was my error re 23 sorry 😳

Exactly, also Field, was given the 6 shirt injured for majority of that season & was then given 23 shirt. He had to then earn the number 1 shirt.
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

It's going to be fascinating to see how the coaches juggle the range of talent in the pack. I'm talking a team to take the field rather than squad numbers and think numbers 1-7 pretty much pick themselves. However, just for fun, here's my starting 8 - 17 assuming everyone is fully fit and raring to go (and still can't decide on some preferences!) and based on current players:

8 Havard
9 O'Neill
10 Cooper/Byrne
11 Walters
12 Farrell
13 Thompson (not sure about Thompson as a 13 but he has to be in there)
Interchanges:
14 Leeming
15 Ellis
16 Dupree
17 Nsemba (more versatile than Hill?)/Mago (Patrick brings something different).

In reserve: Hill, Cooper/Byrne, Nsemba/Mago, Powell, Eseh, Chan, Forber, Isa. Maybe Farrell & Isa could be used in different matches to provide some rest, but keep experience.

I'm sure there'll be lots of disagreement but just my thoughts and good luck Matt!!!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Fan4Fifty wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:09 pm It's going to be fascinating to see how the coaches juggle the range of talent in the pack. I'm talking a team to take the field rather than squad numbers and think numbers 1-7 pretty much pick themselves. However, just for fun, here's my starting 8 - 17 assuming everyone is fully fit and raring to go (and still can't decide on some preferences!) and based on current players:

8 Havard
9 O'Neill
10 Cooper/Byrne
11 Walters
12 Farrell
Interchanges:
14 Leeming
15 Ellis
16 Dupree
17 Nsemba (more versatile than Hill?)/Mago (Patrick brings something different).

In reserve: Hill, Cooper/Byrne, Nsemba/Mago, Powell, Eseh, Chan, Forber, Isa. Maybe Farrell & Isa could be used in different matches to provide some rest, but keep experience.

I'm sure there'll be lots of disagreement but just my thoughts and good luck Matt!!!
I don’t even think Leeming should get 14! The new players need to earn their numbers as far as I’m concerned
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Squad numbers don't mean a thing.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I think squad numbers have been used as a reflection on what a player has achieved the season before. It will be fascinating to see how Peet goes about handing them out among the props. If we give 13 to Thompson, then I would rate the other props (if fully fit) in this order: Havard - Ellis - Dupree - Mago - Cooper - Byrne - Hill. However, this is on the basis of the Mago we saw for the last month of 23, as opposed to before then, and assuming Cooper can reach his potential after his long injury break. If Peet values overall contribution, then mid season Byrne may be rated more highly than recent joiner Dupree, one month wonder Mago and injured veteran Cooper.

I can’t remember a Wigan where our 7th prop (8th is Thompson plays there, or indeed 9th, if Chan is any good and plays prop) was as good as Hill…
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:15 pm
Fan4Fifty wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:09 pm It's going to be fascinating to see how the coaches juggle the range of talent in the pack. I'm talking a team to take the field rather than squad numbers and think numbers 1-7 pretty much pick themselves. However, just for fun, here's my starting 8 - 17 assuming everyone is fully fit and raring to go (and still can't decide on some preferences!) and based on current players:

8 Havard
9 O'Neill
10 Cooper/Byrne
11 Walters
12 Farrell
Interchanges:
14 Leeming
15 Ellis
16 Dupree

I don’t even think Leeming should get 14! The new players need to earn their numbers as far as I’m concerned
Sorry totally disagree. He has earned his number 9 shirt in fact more than o'Neil played at top level in hardest league in world rl. If you're saying incoming players should earn the shirt be interesting who you think we should give most sought after 13 shirt to.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

I'd just get rid of squad numbers and use 1-17 in their positions on the day. The Aussies still do it and fans could still have their favourite players name on their shirt. If they want a number use their heritage number.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

No straw damn us wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:32 pm I'd just get rid of squad numbers and use 1-17 in their positions on the day. The Aussies still do it and fans could still have their favourite players name on their shirt. If they want a number use their heritage number.
So would I.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Squad numbers aren't going to disappear anytime soon.