Excuse me Mr Rooney!

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Wintergreen

Excuse me Mr Rooney!

Post by Wintergreen »

"I remember thinking there was no way I was going to support St Helens, Warrington or Wigan, because they are all fake Scousers," Rooney shared.

"It was a Friday night and I was watching the Rhinos play. I was gripped."

He's obviously never been to Wigan! :oops:
CheshireWarrior

Re: Excuse me Mr Rooney!

Post by CheshireWarrior »

As a Wigan season ticket holder, who lives in Widnes, i can assure you Wigan and Warrington are certainly NOT "fake scousers" :lol: :lol:

As for Leeds....wont be the same without Richie Myler now :roll:
outback wiganer

Post by outback wiganer »

I've just read this myself on the BBC sports app. What an idiot. This just proves what an a***hole he really is. And it also comes from the same player who admits he changed his studs to long metal ones so he could hurt John Terry when he played against Chelsea. Disgrace.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Sounds like journo "hubris", any one in the know would say "plastic scousers" and have it apply to Saints only as they are both in Merseyside? :twisted: :lol:
Miry Lane Casuals

Post by Miry Lane Casuals »

Clumsy choice of words. Probably means 'Wools' which is what Scousers consider people from St Helens, Warrington & Wigan. Probably in that order for who they consider to be the biggest set of Wools (after people from the Wirral).
jobo

Post by jobo »

Mouse13

Post by Mouse13 »

Must be on about Skem :D
Adlington ARLFC 1988-1992
Adlington Rangers ARLFC 1992-2009
Chorley Panthers ARLFC 2009-2011
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Miry Lane Casuals wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:51 am Clumsy choice of words. Probably means 'Wools' which is what Scousers consider people from St Helens, Warrington & Wigan. Probably in that order for who they consider to be the biggest set of Wools (after people from the Wirral).
I think "Wools"are "Woolybacks" referring to or associated with sheep. It's probably the Scouse equivalent to country yokel. Interestingly it includes residents of Runcorn, who pretty much all moved from Liverpool and can have as strong a Scouse accent as any Liverpudlian.

I was born and bred in Hindley/Hindley Green, but left aged 15. When I return I can hear traces of Scouse and Manc which have crept in to the local accent since 1966.

An estate at Hindley Green, on the right after the Victoria pub at the bottom of Long Lane was built in the late 50s and a good number of its first residents were scousers. I'm sure there are others, and they'll have had an impact on the local dialect/accent.

To me, a Wiganer pronounces "year" as "yurr". Listening to the chants when we play Wire, it sounds like "It's always your yeah".
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

You know, Morley, you are so right. I'm nigh on 85 and lived every minute in Billinge On the rare occasion I meet my old Billinger mates in the pub, we always use the dialect. It's concerning to know that people listening to us don't understand a word and they invariably are 50 or more years old and consider themselves 'bone fide' Billingers. I fear our dialect, accent, even mannerisms are gone.
jobo

Post by jobo »

bill.inger wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:40 pm You know, Morley, you are so right. I'm nigh on 85 and lived every minute in Billinge On the rare occasion I meet my old Billinger mates in the pub, we always use the dialect. It's concerning to know that people listening to us don't understand a word and they invariably are 50 or more years old and consider themselves 'bone fide' Billingers. I fear our dialect, accent, even mannerisms are gone.

His us clevur as uh billinger wi ees yead kicked in