Excuse me Mr Rooney!

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
DaveO

Re: Excuse me Mr Rooney!

Post by DaveO »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:14 pm

I was born and bred in Hindley/Hindley Green, but left aged 15. When I return I can hear traces of Scouse and Manc which have crept in to the local accent since 1966.
So was I. I effectively left when I was 18 and went to University. I was back for the holidays but never went back to live there after graduation at 21.
An estate at Hindley Green, on the right after the Victoria pub at the bottom of Long Lane was built in the late 50s and a good number of its first residents were scousers. I'm sure there are others, and they'll have had an impact on the local dialect/accent.
If you mean the estate that has Ludlow Avenue running through it which is off Long Lane, that is where I was brought up. My parents house was build about 1962 (right in front of the Clay Hole pond). I remember the influx of scousers as a kid and went to school with a few of them. We all thought they had escaped and they were viewed not particularly positively if i recall correctly.

This influx into Hindley Green did stop and the scousers were definitely a minority.

I can’t recall any of my contemporaries who were local to the area having their accents affected by the influx. On my return visits which these days are to visit my 92 year old Aunt there definitely no Scouse twang there (not surprisingly given her generation)! She has a wonderful definitely not scouse accent. Nor was there at the recent 70th birthday party I attended which also had people I went to school with present.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:08 pm

I was born and bred in Hindley/Hindley Green, but left aged 15. When I return I can hear traces of Scouse and Manc which have crept in to the local accent since 1966.
So was I. I effectively left when I was 18 and went to University. I was back for the holidays but never went back to live there after graduation at 21.
An estate at Hindley Green, on the right after the Victoria pub at the bottom of Long Lane was built in the late 50s and a good number of its first residents were scousers. I'm sure there are others, and they'll have had an impact on the local dialect/accent.
If you mean the estate that has Ludlow Avenue running through it which is off Long Lane, that is where I was brought up. My parents house was build about 1962 (right in front of the Clay Hole pond). I remember the influx of scousers as a kid and went to school with a few of them. We all thought they had escaped and they were viewed not particularly positively if i recall correctly.

This influx into Hindley Green did stop and the scousers were definitely a minority.

I can’t recall any of my contemporaries who were local to the area having their accents affected by the influx. On my return visits which these days are to visit my 92 year old Aunt there definitely no Scouse twang there (not surprisingly given her generation)! She has a wonderful definitely not scouse accent. Nor was there at the recent 70th birthday party I attended which also had people I went to school with present.
As a hindly greener (living on the atherton side of the border these days) the closet to scouse we have in the area is ratchford living in hindley green.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

bill.inger wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:40 pm You know, Morley, you are so right. I'm nigh on 85 and lived every minute in Billinge On the rare occasion I meet my old Billinger mates in the pub, we always use the dialect. It's concerning to know that people listening to us don't understand a word and they invariably are 50 or more years old and consider themselves 'bone fide' Billingers. I fear our dialect, accent, even mannerisms are gone.
I agree 100%. Accents change and there's nowt (nought) we can do about it. But it's still sad to us old uns.

I'd love to come to your pub for a night and join in. Let me know where and when and well book a night in a hotel and come over.

In the same vein, I read Room on the Broom to my 10 year old granddaughter today. I always do it in a Lancashire (Hindley) accent. She loves it! It's fits Lancy very well, for the intonation as much as the pronunciation.
Lancashire is a lot more up-and-down than Yorkshire, especially in questions.
"Have you not got one of them?" or "Is there room 9n the broom for a witch like me?"
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

jobo wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:02 pm
bill.inger wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:40 pm You know, Morley, you are so right. I'm nigh on 85 and lived every minute in Billinge On the rare occasion I meet my old Billinger mates in the pub, we always use the dialect. It's concerning to know that people listening to us don't understand a word and they invariably are 50 or more years old and consider themselves 'bone fide' Billingers. I fear our dialect, accent, even mannerisms are gone.

His us clevur as uh billinger wi ees yead kicked in
Aye, bud a've geet enuff abeawt me fo't remember mi Wiggin dialect fer 50 odd year o living in Yorkshire.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Didn't realise you were an Hindley Greener, Dave. I know Ludlow Avenue - remember it being built. Used to fish in the Clayhole with a rod made from a sixpenny cane bought from the ironmongers near the Swan Hotel.

Our house was a "posh" semi, 636 Atherton Rd, almost opposite the petrol station (John Plumpton's originally). I used to read in bed at night from the light of the Cleveland signs on its roof or canopy .

All my mates week from Laurel Crescent, Hawthorn Ave, Harlea Ave and that bit of Atherton Rd.

The estate I'm referring to is on the other side of Atherton Road from you. It stretched from Harlea Avenue, behind our house, to Oak Avenue, opposite Long Lane. The "new" (1950s) shops not quite opposite the Victoria pub were part of it. I'd say the original I habitants were 1/3 scousers.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Btw, Dave. I wasn't saying that our generation changed their accents, but that the influx of scousers had an effect on the next generations. My nephew was born in Hindley Green (Taylor Road), he's 50 years old and still lives there. He has definite traces of both Scouse and Manc in his accent. I hear many others who do too.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:46 pm

Didn't realise you were an Hindley Greener, Dave. I know Ludlow Avenue - remember it being built. Used to fish in the Clayhole with a rod made from a sixpenny cane bought from the ironmongers near the Swan Hotel.

Our house was a "posh" semi, 636 Atherton Rd, almost opposite the petrol station (John Plumpton's originally). I used to read in bed at night from the light of the Cleveland signs on its roof or canopy .

All my mates week from Laurel Crescent, Hawthorn Ave, Harlea Ave and that bit of Atherton Rd.

The estate I'm referring to is on the other side of Atherton Road from you. It stretched from Harlea Avenue, behind our house, to Oak Avenue, opposite Long Lane. The "new" (1950s) shops not quite opposite the Victoria pub were part of it. I'd say the original I habitants were 1/3 scousers.
My Aunt who I mentioned used to live on Atherton road further toward Long Lane. For some reason I have in my head no 579 but it was almost opposite a very large older house. I know where you mean re the estate now. There weren’t that many scousers on the estate I was on.

I also used to fish in the Clayhole and still have a split cane rod in the garage I used back then. It’s a bit of an antique.

My Mum (and Aunt) were born on Thomas Street as you head towards Atherton near to the now demolished Thomas Street school I went to. My Grandfather on that side of the family was a local councillor and ended up Mayor of Hindley when it used to have a town council. My Dad wasn’t from Hindley Green but from Ince. Him and his twin brother played RL for one of the Ince amateur teams, I think it was Ince Rose Bridge but I could be wrong. He worked at Turner Bros and my Mum as a part time barmaid in the Swan and later in what was Kay’s confectioners, the cake shop on the opposite side of Swan Lane.
morley pie eater

DaveO wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:44 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:46 pm

My Aunt who I mentioned used to live on Atherton road further toward Long Lane. For some reason I have in my head no 579 but it was almost opposite a very large older house. I know where you mean re the estate now. There weren’t that many scousers on the estate I was on.

I also used to fish in the Clayhole and still have a split cane rod in the garage I used back then. It’s a bit of an antique.

My Mum (and Aunt) were born on Thomas Street as you head towards Atherton near to the now demolished Thomas Street school I went to. My Grandfather on that side of the family was a local councillor and ended up Mayor of Hindley when it used to have a town council. My Dad wasn’t from Hindley Green but from Ince. Him and his twin brother played RL for one of the Ince amateur teams, I think it was Ince Rose Bridge but I could be wrong. He worked at Turner Bros and my Mum as a part time barmaid in the Swan and later in what was Kay’s confectioners, the cake shop on the opposite side of Swan Lane.
Brilliant! Love the details and memories. I hope we're not boring other readers - though it wouldn't be the first, or last, time!

I purchased the odd vanilla slice from Kay's. Opposite there an "auntie" of mine had a chippy. She was actually a cousin of my Mum, Edie Hamer or Edith I suppose. She may have had a different married surname.

Another Hamer was my Uncle Jimmy. He delivered coal all round the area. Lived in first semi on Atherton Rd after Borsdane Ave, towards Laurel Nurseries. His son Gordon took over the business, and lived on or near Sandy Lane. Jimmy was actually my Mum's uncle.

Depending on your dad's age, I may have shaken his hand. The Mayor of Hindley used to give a Christmas present to each kid in Hindley. We queued for hours to get to the "Town Hall" steps (actually Council Offices). When I was too old to get a present, I had to queue with my younger sisters, so must have covered from early 50s to early 60s.

Finally, a few of the lads near us went to Thomas Street. I'd emigrated from Hindley when I was 5 so carried on going to Argyle St.
Names I remember are David Kelsall, Tom Jackson (sadly, Tom died some time ago), David Chapman, Eric Berry, Johnny Rigby, Terence Dallimore.
Last edited by morley pie eater on Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Final mention: Alf Taylor's butcher's. He once took me to the meat market, possibly in Liverpool, to help him. The clock in his window was Hindley Green's equivalent of Big Ben. It was still in the window for years after his shop closed.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Don’t recognise any of those names. As to names my Grandad who ended up as mayor went by the splendid name of Orlando Murray.

It’s a pity off topic forum is closed as threads like this could migrate there but given it is the off season, in past years topics that went this way would not be locked anyway. Isn’t that right Josie?