World Club Challenge

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
widdenoldboy

World Club Challenge

Post by widdenoldboy »

Apologies if this is known or if a thread exists but I'm hearing game will be played at DW next year?

Also seen this just now

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/revealed ... yed-84889/

Revealed: Where the 2024 World Club Challenge will be played
Cam Pattison November 9, 2023mode_comment0

Wigan Warriors are the Super League Champions and that sets them up for a huge game against NRL Champions the Penrith Panthers.

Wigan have a special history in the competition being the first team to go down under to win the World Club Challenge. They also returned to Australia to try and win the World Club Challenge in 2014 against Sydney Roosters but came up short.

They were also the last British team to win the trophy until St Helens ended a six year wait to see an English team crowned World Champions last year. Wigan defeated Cronulla Sharks at the DW Stadium in 2017 having lost at the same ground in 2011 to St George Illawarra Dragons and in 2019 to Sydney.

Against the three-time reigning NRL Champions, the Warriors will have a difficult task ahead of them in the 2024 World Club Challenge and coach Matt Peet wanted to make it even tougher wanting to play the game down under whilst others including Kris Radlinski have pushed for the game to join the opening games of the NRL season in Las Vegas.

However, according to the Sydney Morning Herald, the World Club Challenge will be held in the UK likely at the DW Stadium.

This is because Penrith are not being included in the Pre-season Challenge tournament in Australia and will instead be in the UK with the Sydney Morning Herald revealing the leaked Pre-season schedule.
widdenoldboy

Re: World Club Challenge

Post by widdenoldboy »

Looks like its still in the air - the Sydney Morning Herald article I could find is still "its a maybe"

"The Panthers, meanwhile, are open to missing the pre-season challenge – and a potential prize of $100,000 – if it makes it easier for them to travel to England for the World Club Challenge.

The NRL is expected to announce its pre-season challenge draw as early as Friday, but Penrith officials confirmed they were unsure how their early season schedule would look.

Should they play against Wigan on February 24, they are happy to be excluded from the second edition of the pre-season tournament.

“If the World Club Challenge comes to fruition, we’re happy not to play a trial,” Panthers CEO Matt Cameron said."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/reveal ... 5eiqz.html
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Could be good, could be bad. Would have been nice to see us in the NRL preseason comp plus WCC. Would have made it worth going maybe. On the other hand, great to get the game at home.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Cue a new song for the fans:

"Five stars on my shirt,
Two more than St Helens . . ."
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

It should be over here this time round the last couple have been down under if the match is to carry on it can't all be one way traffic.

Not sure why the vegas thing ever got mentioned that is all about promoting the NRL not SL so for me that was never ever going to fly.
Stanfax

Post by Stanfax »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:54 pm Cue a new song for the fans:

"Five stars on my shirt,
Hahaha, that's funny! Love to see it come to fruition...
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

fozzieskem wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:59 pm It should be over here this time round the last couple have been down under if the match is to carry on it can't all be one way traffic.

Not sure why the vegas thing ever got mentioned that is all about promoting the NRL not SL so for me that was never ever going to fly.
I think it was becasue there is a round of NRL games in Vegas and apparently it is easier to get to than the UK so I think it was supposed to be a happy medium for an NRL club
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Stanfax wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:37 am
morley pie eater wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:54 pm Cue a new song for the fans:

"Five stars on my shirt,
Hahaha, that's funny! Love to see it come to fruition...
Thanks. Needs a better songwriter than me to complete it. Any offers?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

WarriorWinger wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:47 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:59 pm It should be over here this time round the last couple have been down under if the match is to carry on it can't all be one way traffic.

I think it was becasue there is a round of NRL games in Vegas and apparently it is easier to get to than the UK so I think it was supposed to be a happy medium for an NRL club
I didn't know about that. Just bought tickets!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

WarriorWinger wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:47 pm

Yea I've noted the NRL games in Vegas but that's purely,it seems to me for the NRL side of things wouldn't look to good for them would it if Wigan rocked up and beat Penrith especially while trying to sell the sport to the Americans?

Hence why I commented about it think it was pie in the sky thinking really that said who knows but the cynic in me says the an Australian only invitation to America