Sam Powell Has Left The Club

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Sam Powell Has Left The Club

Post by medlocke »

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/#BRlX5WDDcK0pXtLr.97

Wigan Warriors can confirm that Sam Powell has left the Club to take up another opportunity in the Betfred Super League.
Powell made a try-scoring debut for Wigan against Hull FC in August 2012, and went on to play 272 games for the Club.

He joined the Club aged 16 from Wigan St Patrick’s ARLFC after spending four successful years in the Club’s Scholarship and Academy systems, and played a starring role in the 2011 Academy Grand Final win over Warrington.

Sam developed into a strong leader on and off the field, becoming a key member of Wigan’s Leadership Group and celebrated his Testimonial Year in 2023.

The 31-year-old leaves Wigan as a three-time Grand Final winner, also winning a World Club Challenge and three League Leaders’ Shields.

Head Coach Matt Peet said: “Sam Powell leaves Wigan having given his all every second of every day. As a leader at the Club, he has made our culture and everyone around him better.”

Peet added: “I feel personally privileged to have worked with him. We wish him and his family all the best on and off the rugby field.”

Chief Executive, Kris Radlinski said: “Sam can take immense pride in his accomplishments at the Club.

“Throughout his career at Wigan, he has exhibited unwavering dedication, consistently elevating our standards for numerous years.”

Radlinski added: “His time here has not only been marked by professional success but has also fostered enduring friendships that will last a lifetime. Sam, along with his young family, will always find our door open to
Soul Kitchen

Re: Sam's Gone

Post by Soul Kitchen »

Well that will be some couch fans with an ability to talk through their back passage happy tonite, eh?
That better for the under 90's on here?🤣
Last edited by Soul Kitchen on Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Sam's Gone

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

All the best to the lad - he’s earnt everything he takes away from Wigan and all the arguments over his ability can now be put to bed and we can just agree he was Wigan through and through

The season he stepped up for Micky Mac was a highlight for him always gave 100%
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wintergreen

Re: Sam Powell Has Left The Club

Post by Wintergreen »

And suddenly the number of posts on this forum plummets…..😂
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Win win situation all round. He said himself he was unlikely to get a game in front of Leeming and O’Neil so presumably he’s gone somewhere he thinks he will get a game. Wise move at 31.

Wigan have moved on an average player, improved the no 9 position with O’Neil and Leeming and Powell is off the salary cap. Hopefully our other young hooker who’s name escapes me who is supposed to be very good now doesn’t see three senior players in front of him and may well start to get games if either of the other two are injured.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

DaveO wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:29 pm Win win situation all round. He said himself he was unlikely to get a game in front of Leeming and O’Neil so presumably he’s gone somewhere he thinks he will get a game. Wise move at 31.

Wigan have moved on an average player, improved the no 9 position with O’Neil and Leeming and Powell is off the salary cap. Hopefully our other young hooker who’s name escapes me who is supposed to be very good now doesn’t see three senior players in front of him and may well start to get games if either of the other two are injured.
If its forber your on about dave, i cant wait to see him myself
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Warrington obviously expect to go down next season as no superleague club but Wigan would take Powell.

On a serious note all the best to Powell and I hope the move revitalises him like it did for Players like Lee Mossop and Micky Mac.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wes

Post by Wes »

He’s arguably joined another top side, a lot on here said top sides wouldn’t touch him, go figure🤷
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Well I’m personally gutted! Along with the other players, Cust & Thornley who have left the club.

The fans who have appreciated their contribution to Wigan warriors have not had the chance to thank them for being Warriors, to say goodbye & wish them Good Luck.

Although I have spoke personally to Thornley.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Was it the last game he came over at the end of the game on his own to me it told its own story.

Solid player better than many on here will ever admit to but no world beater either.

Good luck to the lad I suspect if he fancies coaching he may well be back at some point