Shorrocks leaves the club

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Crossy210

Shorrocks leaves the club

Post by Crossy210 »

Not surprised by this he can do a job in most teams. Good luck to him

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/11/ ... ves-wigan/
lucky 13

Re: Shorrocks leaves the club

Post by lucky 13 »

Always thought Joe may replace Isa in the squad, but he may well not have wanted that role, although I do think Isa's role as changed from cover to if he's fit he plays.
His experience, aggression and attitude both on and off the field are highly thought of.
Back to Joe been a valuable squad player, I'm sure he will play plenty SL games and I wish him all the luck, he deserves a good crack at a starting shirt something I think would have been difficult for him with us.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wigan1

Post by Wigan1 »

Good luck to him. I don’t really think he’s a player we will miss, not quite good enough in my opinion.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Soft spot for Joe Shorrocks, definitely a player who gives his all and has demonstrated his versatility and strong work ethic on many an occasion!

Sadly though looking at the playing roster so far, cant see him getting much game time next season, good luck to the lad!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Good luck to him good player who will go well wherever he ends up
bertina

Post by bertina »

Good luck to the lad, hope he does well.
Could obviously see he would struggle making the 17 regularly, unless injuries start to pile up, and didn’t fancy his backside parked on a bench most of the time.
Just that bit short of top class, but always gave his all no matter where he played, and you can’t ask more than that.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

I rate Shorrocks but he really needed to make this year the one where he became a first team regular and just couldn't manage it. He's turning 24 this month and at that age you need to be playing regularly in Super League if you're going to reach your potential.

13 is clearly his best position and when he played there this year he looked decent, but with Smithies as competition it was always a tough ask to play there regularly. The injuries to KPP and Isa made it a possibility but I'd argue it was actually Smithies lack of impact at second row that cost him more than Shorrocks' own performances. It saw Shorrocks shifted to second row where he was defensively strong but didn't have the size to make an impact and then the red card in the cup game against Rovers sealed his fate. Add to that O'Neill being a sensible option at 13 during games too and it was just too much to ask.

Hopefully he gets a chance to play regularly at 13 for Salford. They have an expansive style of play and Shorrocks should suit that.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Salford Red Devils complete move for Wigan Warriors' Joe Shorrocks

Salford have confirmed their sixth signing ahead of the new Super League season.

Salford Red Devils have confirmed the signing of Wigan Warriors forward Joe Shorrocks. The 23-year-old has signed a three-year contract with the club to become their sixth signing ahead of the 2024 season.

Shorrocks, who can play loose forward, hooker or in the halves, has played 75 games for Wigan since his debut in 2019. Super League's top tackler in 2021, Shorrocks played 18 times for Wigan on their way to the Super League Grand Final this year.

Ever since I spoke to Paul (Rowley) and Ian (Blease) about coming to play for Salford it is something that has excited me," he said. "And it is a move that I think is best for me at this stage in my career. I spoke to a few of the lads that I know there already and they have had nothing but positive things to say about the club, so I’m really happy to be joining!”

Rowley, who has also signed Nene Macdonald, Cade Cust, Ethan Ryan, Matty Foster and Kai Morgan to his squad, added: “I am delighted to welcome Joe into our group. I have enjoyed watching Joe’s progress over the last couple of years and respected his work ethic, and ability. After speaking with Joe, it was clear that his character and ambition are first class, and a perfect fit for our team. We are all looking forward to working alongside Joe and look forward to him pulling on the Salford jersey!”

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... e-28142450
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Good luck to him. I think he’s made the right call for his own career. You’d love to keep a lad like that in the squad for good but it’s probably a bit selfish. As much as I rate him as a Jack of all trades, I don’t think he’s quite good enough to be a starter in any position here but he can be elsewhere and I look forward to seeing how he gets on.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

His performance in the win at Warrington was outstanding. Good luck to him.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐