Super League Magic Weekend relocated with Elland Road to replace St James' Park

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Crossy210

Re: Super League Magic Weekend relocated with Elland Road to replace St James' Park

Post by Crossy210 »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:17 am
fozzieskem wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:05 am It's clear IMG don't want the event so what better way of killing something is to relocate to a shithouse of a ground and watch the numbers attending dwindle.

Of course they'll spin it they couldn't get the ground etc well of course they couldn't get the ground because they moved the CC final to that date..

Yes the more I see IMGs paws over our game the more I'm sure they're going to ruin the sport.

Oh and it's not me being paranoid they've made it clear they don't want the magic weekend in the calender.
Spot on!
Not spot on this has nothing to do with IMG it’s got the rfl and superleague written all over it though
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Re: Super League Magic Weekend relocated with Elland Road to replace St James' Park

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Disagree. This has IMG written all over it . Made it clear from the start Magic Weekend was gone until the clubs protested

EW
2002 and EW is hooked
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

100% Elland Road was picked as it is not fit for purpose. Come to think about it it's not fit for much.

EW
2002 and EW is hooked
Crossy210

Post by Crossy210 »

EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:11 pm Disagree. This has IMG written all over it . Made it clear from the start Magic Weekend was gone until the clubs protested

EW
IMG don’t have any say on what goes on until 2025 I believe. So I’d say it’s more just a really poor decision by the rfl and superleague
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Crossy210 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:22 pm
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:11 pm Disagree. This has IMG written all over it . Made it clear from the start Magic Weekend was gone until the clubs protested

EW
IMG don’t have any say on what goes on until 2025 I believe. So I’d say it’s more just a really poor decision by the rfl and superleague
iMG signed a 12 year deal 2 years ago so yes they're very much involved in the sport but for the clubs digging their heels in the magic would be already gone ergo we read this this morning it's just a backdoor way of getting rid of the event

But carry on blindly blaming the clubs if you must do.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Fan4Fifty wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:01 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:35 pm Magic has never appealed to me because I don't have the patience or stamina or interest to watch more than 1 match in a day. I went to nearly every Premiership final at Old Trafford and, when they added the 2nd Division final, I'd arrive during the 2nd half.

As it's so near this year, I may go to watch Wigan and half of another game.

My abiding memory of us at Elland Road was Graeme West making a break down the left and passing to Gilly to score. Obviously early 80s, I'd guess a cup semi and think it was against Hull KR with Gavin Miller one of their players of that era who I remember.

[Just googled it - it was the 1985 cup semi final.]
If I'm thinking about the same incident, wasn't it David Stephenson that scored? We'd been under the pump and Westy broke from a 25 yard line tap. Hull KR were a dominant team then so I think it was the most excited I've ever been at a match - great memory!!
It was stephenson who score and also Brian Juliff scored on the wing as John Ferguson hadnt come back yet
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

Back on point, Elland Road is a shithole of a ground in a shithole of an area.
A complete and utter balls up by the RFL and Super League
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

EW
I dodnt remember IMG not liking Magic was there any reason for the stance its always seemed like a decent idea to me havent the NRL recently started to copy it?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

I honestly can't recall where I read it but it was made quite clear by IMG that in the effort to reduce the number of games Magic was more than likely to be a casualty . That's the way I read it if wrong I stand corrected.

EW
2002 and EW is hooked
Crossy210

Post by Crossy210 »

fozzieskem wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:29 pm

EW
iMG signed a 12 year deal 2 years ago so yes they're very much involved in the sport but for the clubs digging their heels in the magic would be already gone ergo we read this this morning it's just a backdoor way of getting rid of the event

But carry on blindly blaming the clubs if you must do.
My understanding was the first couple of years was effectively fact finding before 2025 when they start to put things into place hence no new competition structures until that point. I could be wrong but even still it’s a very poor decision by the rfl/superleague who ultimately have the final say do they not