Super League Magic Weekend relocated with Elland Road to replace St James' Park

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Super League Magic Weekend relocated with Elland Road to replace St James' Park

Post by josie andrews »

The event is one of the biggest weekend's in rugby league's calendar.

The Super League Magic Weekend will not be held at Newcastle's St James' Park next year, Rugby League Live can reveal, with Leeds United's Elland Road set to host the event next year.

The 38,000-capacity stadium will become the sixth venue to host the event since its introduction in 2007, with next year's festival to take place on the weekend of August 17/18th. It has previously been staged at Cardiff, Edinburgh, Manchester, Liverpool and most recently, Newcastle.

It was initially hoped that the event would stay in Newcastle, with the city seen by many as the spiritual home of the event. But despite there being an appetite from local officials to retain the event, logistical issues meant a date that worked for both parties could not be reached. Next year's Challenge Cup Final will be staged in June and with officials keen to spread out the big events, it meant a May date wasn't preferable.

But an August date can bring challenges, specifically for stadia where football is played as it coincides with the beginning of the season. That is thought to have been one of the challenges in keeping the event in Newcastle next year.

Instead it will be played in Leeds and at a stadium that has history with rugby league. Elland Road has previously hosted a number of major events, such as the 2008 and 2010 World Club Challenge matches. England have played international matches going as far back as 1921 while the Tri Nations and Four Nations finals were held there at the beginning of the 21st century. Most recently, the stadium staged the epic Rugby League World Cup semi-final between Australia and New Zealand in 2022, while months earlier the Challenge Cup semi-final double header, and the Women's Challenge Cup Final, were also played there.

The fixtures for the event are already known based on the formula the competition has used over many years. Leeds Rhinos, playing in their home city, will take on Warrington Wolves in what is thought to be the final game on Saturday evening.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... d-28141711
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Super League Magic Weekend relocated with Elland Road to replace St James' Park

Post by josie andrews »

What a fecking joke?? A dump of a ground for a showpiece event!

RFL are not fit for purpose! And always fecking Leeds!!
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
fozzieskem

Re: Super League Magic Weekend relocated with Elland Road to replace St James' Park

Post by fozzieskem »

It's clear IMG don't want the event so what better way of killing something is to relocate to a shithouse of a ground and watch the numbers attending dwindle.

Of course they'll spin it they couldn't get the ground etc well of course they couldn't get the ground because they moved the CC final to that date..

Yes the more I see IMGs paws over our game the more I'm sure they're going to ruin the sport.

Oh and it's not me being paranoid they've made it clear they don't want the magic weekend in the calender.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Great choice….. not….. nowhere near the centre for shops pubs etc.Well done for ruining such a great event
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:05 am It's clear IMG don't want the event so what better way of killing something is to relocate to a shithouse of a ground and watch the numbers attending dwindle.

Of course they'll spin it they couldn't get the ground etc well of course they couldn't get the ground because they moved the CC final to that date..

Yes the more I see IMGs paws over our game the more I'm sure they're going to ruin the sport.

Oh and it's not me being paranoid they've made it clear they don't want the magic weekend in the calender.
Spot on!
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

They have really cocked this one up, was looking forward to booking for the whole weekend in Newcastle once again.
I will not be attending the event at this crap stadium, too far from hotels etc.
Looks like the death of Magic Weekend.
doc

Post by doc »

Return to the Etihad would have been better.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

doc wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:53 am Return to the Etihad would have been better.
Yes was a good venue
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Firestarter wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:56 am
doc wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:53 am Return to the Etihad would have been better.
Yes was a good venue
+ 1
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:13 am
Firestarter wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:56 am
Yes was a good venue
+ 1
My mate had contacted me (who doesnt watch rugby) and said if it was newcastle he wanted to go - he did come to the anfiled one with me, just told him where it is and he said its a hard no lol

really bad choice even by RFL standard
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure